Where to get metal French Cleats?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Bromley86, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Bromley86

Bromley86 New Member

2. joiner Neil

joiner Neil New Member

Hi, rockler deliver to the UK, iv had router bits sent over before

3. Bromley86

Bromley86 New Member

Thanks - good to know that it can be done. The postage for ~£10 of goods is ~£25, so of course I'd like to avoid it :) . Still, definitely an option.

4. mack47

mack47 New Member

Have you tried B&Q?Thats where I found mine.

5. Bromley86

Bromley86 New Member

Many thanks Mack47 - great to know that there's somewhere where I might get them. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

6. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

7. Bromley86

Bromley86 New Member

They would probably work and, by the look of it, pull the mirror in tighter on the wall. However, I'd need to put lots up to make sure the load was spread and they'd be a git to "hit" with the other connector.

I tried B&Q (a huge warehouse one) today but no joy. Likewise Wickes. The best UK-based solution I've come across so far is to use two cabinet hanging rails (one upside down).
    http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php?productsid=193&Name=Cabinet+Hanging+Rail+-+2.5mt.+-Steel

8. Bromley86

Bromley86 New Member

EDIT: Just saw the price. At £62 I could order those steel cleats from the US for less :) .

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Can you not make your own split batten?

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Re read your first post. Duh.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A light engineering co could knock these up. 2 lengths of 50mm by 2mm strap in a bending machine. No problems.

12. CRS - Ross

CRS - Ross New Member

have you tried a local wrought iron railings company/ one man band? they should be able to source and bend the metal no bother.