Where to reroute the pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Des Lavender, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

I'm in need of some good ideas. I'm fitting kitchen cupboards and have to take into account these two 15mm pipes that are about 500mm from the corner. Obviously the 625mm corner wall unit extends past them but there's no void. On the other wall I managed to route them behind a 300mm unit that I had to chop away and relocate the back panel. Do I do this again or do I take advantage of the fact that there is a 70mm difference between the width of the wall and the total width of the units? This would mean that I'd have to rejig the layout so it won't be as symmetrical as intended. Thoughts please. Thanx, Des.

Attached Files:

2. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

there are severals ways, the hard way or the easy way.

Hard way would be to chisel out the wall to recess the pipes into and cover the pipes with plastic cover and then plaster over it.

Easy way would be to create 2 parallel wooden batten and fit the wall unit to these batten so then it is level across the wall, although you will lose some space and find ways to cover the gaps under and top of the unit and maybe on the end sides.

That my thought on it, maybe someone else knows a better way.

Des Lavender likes this.
  3. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Ah, I see. Not a bad idea at all. Thanks, food for thought. Not sure how that would affect how I'd fix the brackets to the wall. I guess I'd have to use longer fixings to go through the battens, plaster and brick. The units will go from wall corner to wall corner so there shouldn't be an issue with the ends.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  4. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

I'd need about an inch away from the wall to clear the pipes. Just wondering if that would be more effort than doing something with the 300mm unit. I'll have to think.

5. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

the unit would be fitted to the batten and the batten would be something like, at the top batten if 1 inch thick by about 2 to 3 inch so the unit bracket is fitted directly onto the batten and the bottom batten would be 1 by 1 inch to support the bottom unit and that the unit is upright not tilting downward at an angle.

So fitting the unit would be as normal but instead it is fitted to the wooden batten rather than the brick wall, you could opt for a longer screw so that it drives through the wood AND the brick wall.

Also remember some kitchen in some houses are fitted to these wooden stud/noggins and stayed up for years.

If you do go with the wooden batten be sure to get yourself some levelers packers such as these http://www.screwfix.com/p/assorted-plastic-shims-200pcs/80408 so your batten is level across the wall.

6. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Gawd! Think I'll just stick to deciding how far along to reroute the pipes. Thanks anyway.