Where to start engineered wood floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by John Bunyan, Jun 25, 2017.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Active Member

Hi i'm going to lay this floor in a first floor room with one long wall at right angles to the windows and the wall opposite has the top of the ground floor stairs and the bottom of the second floor stairs there. Now i'm aware that the long straight wall is possibly the place to start. Do I start there and do I put a full board in and maybe end up with a possible narrow board at the opposite wall and stairs with a nosing around the stairwell or do I divide the distance to start with a part board to try not to get a narrow board at the stairs? Tell me if that's long winded!!

2. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

That's long winded.

John Bunyan likes this.
  3. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

You're right to start on the long straight wall, you would need to take an accurate measurement across the room to see how it ends up, obviously the last thing you want is a 1cm strip at the final strip but it sounds like with the stairwells etc, there could be 2 or 3 finishing points. Measure at least twice and then once more, and work out how much you need to take off the width of the first run and what that would leave you with on the final runs. Are you taking off the skirting boards or using edging strips?

John Bunyan likes this.
  4. John Bunyan

I like being long winded so thanks for affirming me. Old skirting has been removed so floor first then new skirting

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Won't there be a balustrade covering the floorboards at the stairwell edge anyway?

John Bunyan likes this.
  6. John Bunyan

Hi yes there will be and I think I'll be doing a glass balustrade. How should the engineered floor and baserail finish with each other?

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Reason I asked was if you were having issues determining the starting row of boards, set them out off the nosing temporarily and see what widths of boards you'll be left with at the ends of your walls. Leave a 1/2 inch gap between first board and nosing, and the baserail will cover this.

8. John Bunyan

Ok Thanks for that. Could you explain how to work it out on a calculator, for example, if the width of the room minus half inch gap at each side is 3456÷by the board width 120=28.8 I'm not sure how that tells me what width to cut the two end boards. Jord86, post: 1519738, member: 160764"]Reason I asked was if you were having issues determining the starting row of boards, set them out off the nosing temporarily and see what widths of boards you'll be left with at the ends of your walls. Leave a 1/2 inch gap between first board and nosing, and the baserail will cover this.[/QUOTE]
    How

9. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

How[/QUOTE]

To be honest mate I'm no great mathematician, but that calculation works out at virtually 29 boards less a fifth, which in a 120mm board is nearly an inch, 24 mm, I wouldn't faff about trying to get millimetre perfection, you won't if your walls are slightly running out anyways, break it down into sections, find half your room distance, snap a line parallel to your starting wall then measure the remaining distance I.e. 1728 is half of 3456, works out 14.4, that's fourteen and a half boards more or less, so in theory you should start the first row with a 48mm rip (think that's right). You should also take into consideration where a full board would look best to the eye, so if you got a bed and wardrobes up against the majority of one wall obscuring the floor, perhaps a full board at the opposite end would be the best for aesthetics, seeing as you're not really going to see any small rip?

masterdiy and John Bunyan like this.
  11. John Bunyan

Thanks mate that was a help and I did the floor it worked out well.

12. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

John, a picture would top it off nicely.

John Bunyan likes this.
  13. John Bunyan

Yes I will when it's finished as it's a whole house that's being done so I've been moving around doing different things. Did a nice floating TV wall with shelves for the first time too. Thanks for taking the interest

masterdiy likes this.
  14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Good, glad to be of help.

John Bunyan likes this.