Which board to tile on??

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Sparks., Jan 3, 2017.

1. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

I have been asked to fit some electric underfloor heating. The floor are solid concrete, but with no insulation under. I plan to fit 25mm battens to concrete floor at 400mm centers. Infill with 25mm celetex insulation. Board over this with 18mm ?? then glue tiles to this boarding with the heating mat inbetween, using flexible adhesive. My question is: Which boarding is best to use in terms of being durable enough to stick tiles to? I've used plywood in the past but water resistant T&G chipboard works out much cheaper than a quality ply. Is it up to the job long term? Opinions from pro tilers much appreciated on this :)

2. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Um, surprised no one knows the answer to this one!

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look at ProWarm BACKER-PRO Tile Backer Board, several other under tile Thermal insulation boards around either in 6mm or 10mm thickness.

4. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

I'm not sure they'll be thick enough to support the weigtht of the floor when fixed to battens? was looking for a timber solution really as would be thermally advantageous too...

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Fitted direct to concrete floor, not battens.

6. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

I've had a look at these but slightly confused with the thermal properties. Any idea how these compare with 25mm celetex for example? What thickness of board would be equal to the 25mm celetex?

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

8. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Thanks but I don't think this is designed to go onto a concrete slab?

9. Pollowick

No, but it can go on your 25mm battens instead of ply.

10. BuilderCol

BuilderCol New Member

What's wrong with ply? It's too expensive?

11. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Have a look at Marmox board it is an insulating tile backer board. I have just used it for wall tiling on an outside wall to reduce heat loss, easy to cut and clean to work with.
    http://www.marmox.co.uk/products/multiboard

12. Pollowick

Can it be used as a floor? It is available is 20mm thick however at 600 wide it is difficult to manoeuvre and lacks the T&G that Hardie has.

Why use Ply when they is a better quality board for tiling on? Hardie is designed for tiling so no messing around, lay it, and tile on it and it does not move.

13. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

If you scroll down to the floor heading on the link it details floor instlation. I thought it might kill two birds for you to would not need to fit the celotex.

14. Pollowick

Cannot get the video to play - just getting audio.

Are you suggesting putting Marmox direct on the floor? If so, the only issues I can see are getting it nicely level with packers and then the size and manoeuvrability.

15. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Sorry if the link no good just Google Marmox board lots on there as far as I can see they seem to just stick it to the floor