Which combi boiler ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jav, Oct 26, 2009.

1. jav

jav Member

Any one here, know much or experienced the Sabre boilers , are they any good?

looking for 80,000 btu, any recomendations? under £800 ish
    something reliable and good performer, poss. with a good warranty.

2. Sabre is a re-badged vokera, I've installed a few, and found them reliable. cheap budget boiler.

3. billybongos

billybongos New Member

I've been watching a Vizo Condensing Combi Boiler for £399.00, and when installed to manufacturers instructions it works brilliantly - great flow rate, and hot water output

do Heatline do spare parts for these

4. jav

jav Member

I have had a vokera before it was ok still running had a few problems with it , their not bad. only other major issue was that I did not get enough hot water. The boiler was in a basement kitchen , so if you open hot water in kitchen , no hot water in bathroom on 1st floor, it is so annoying.

I was in fact considering Baxi, what would their flow rate be in a similar situation

5. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

I'd speak to your Gas Safe RGI, I'm sure he/she will be able to supply & fit a good quality boiler for you. Your budget is realistic & you should be able to get a good 'Band A' combi supplied & fitted for around £1,600-£2,000.

6. graceland

graceland Active Member

vaillants are pretty good

7. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

8. jav

jav Member

Dick. Puller, last time I relied on someones opinion ended up with vokera , cant get hot water at 2 taps at one time.

The gas fitter is my brother, he commonly fits Sabre and is recommending that, which i'm not too keen on, due to bad reviews and not A rated efficiency. There is another reason he is recommending Sabre , but thats a long story, if the circumstances were different i'm sure he probably wouldnt recommend Sabre, thats why I cant take his opinion as objective
    I usually do better when I do my own research and take into account a few opinions and then make my decision.

9. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Get him to fit a Remeha Avantaplus 39C combi. The minimum the 35C. Just under £1K for the 39C and high flow rates. Fit the outside temperature sensor. Much superior to the Sabre. They now own Baxi/Pott and their Heat Team will do the servicing when they sort the merger out.

It is your house, get a decent combi. The Sabre is well priced for what it is, but you can do a lot better.

Fit a Spirotech Magnaboost filter on the CH return pipe. A DIY job to empty the filter.

You will not look back.

10. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

I was in fact considering Baxi, what would their flow
    rate be in a similar situation

Do not fit a Baxi or Potterton. They are poor. Not an Ideal, BIASI, Ravenheat or Ariston (although their Microgenus was a gem).

Vaillant and W-Bosch are over priced.

11. jav

jav Member

has anyone experience of Vaillants?
    Thanks for tip on which report for baxi duo, the new baxi is around £800 and has a five year warranty , I wonder if it matches the duo?

12. debit cruncher

debit cruncher New Member

Your best bet for a combi is the Baxi Platinum, 5 year parts and labour warranty, you can't do better. We find that this is a big selling point, people have peace of mind for 5 years, and we service them every year. Simples
    If thats to pricey for you the Duo-tec is the same boiler but with only a 2 year warranty, so you pays your money and takes your chance

13. debit cruncher

We used to fit vailants, but when the only offer a standard warranty and you can get better deals it became a no-brainer. But they are good boilers.

14. jav

jav Member

Water systems, thanks for info will google rameha any tips on best price and how good are they?

15. "You will not look back."

No he won't Walter, coz if he follows your advice he'll be scrambling out the house, running for his life, kaboooooooommmmmmm!!

16. jav

jav Member

Cruncher my main issue will be trying to get hot water to the 2nd tap on 1st floor simultaniously, will the baxi do that?

17. debit cruncher

If you want good flow through multi outlets you need to be thinking of getting rid of the combi, and getting a system boiler with an unvented cylinder.

Opps, gone and done it now! ;)

18. jav

jav Member

I had a quick look at your recommend. I was trying to stick to 28000 btu , to keep gas bills down, or is that a misconception.

cos its only a small back to back, 2 badroom.

now this other thing you have just mentionioned , what is involved and what will it cost?

19. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Water systems, thanks for info will google rameha any
    tips on best price and how good are they?

They are very good indeed. A Dutch company who current make the best. At least equal to Vaillant. A search on Broag or Avantaplus on this forum will bring some up.

I recently given some info and links on another thread.

Take no no notice of the idiots on here - this forum has a lot of interference, which means threads are twice as long filled with nothing productive.

http://www.avantarange.com/ A google will get the best prices.

20. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

jav, no a baxi won't do 2 hot taps, to do that you will need a 35kw boiler or bigger and will cost twice as much as the baxi, or walters dutch rubbish boilers( who have just bought baxi to gain some credability),
    anyway to get 2 hot taps you need a unvented cyliner has someone else suggested, that will cost much more installation wise but give you what you want.
    you have to choose comfort or economy