Which cordless drill for £150?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Trackside, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Trackside

Trackside New Member

Sorry, I'm sure this comes up on the forums time and time again. I've had a quick look through the history but haven't found anything totally relevant.
    Always had Dewalt drills in the past but my wife bought me a new one at Christmas and it's awful. Yes it's a budget one, it's only 1.3ah so is weak as p**s, but the build quality is terrible. Lots of flex when using it. Has Dewalt gone downhill or are the pricier models still good quality drills?

I'll be using the new drill predominantly for diy, so battery life/charging time isnt a massive concern, but something with a 2x battery deal would be nice.
    It would also be nice if it could handle masonry. I have a corded sds for when things get too tough but if it could handle blockwork etc better than the Dewalt that would also be good.

I've seen a couple of Makitas in the price range but not sure of the differences. They appear to be the same drill but with different accessories supplied. My concern is that charging times differ, so not really sure what's going on.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dh...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMb61uS0x9MCFeEx0wodVgANeQ
    And
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dh...on-cordless-combi-drill-101-accessories/8194j

Same drill but one is 3ah (and two are supplied) the other is 4ah.
    Is there much difference in strength?
    Is it possible to put a 4ah battery into a 3ah drill?
    Also the second drill comes with an accessory kit. Is it a pile of garbage like most 'extras' or is it fairly good quality?

Am I missing any other deals that anyone could recommend, I've been looking around but not seen anything that has caught my eye.

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate any help I can get :)

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've got a 18v Makita drill and impact set. Seem ok. Had some trouble with the drill and need to send it back for repair.

I recently purchased 12v Milwaukee drill and driver so these get used more now. Only bring out the Makita set if heavy use.

My one charges the 3Ah batteries in 22 minutes which is really quick.

I can put larger capacity batteries in the tool range.

Recently purchased an 18V planer which is really good and much better than the cheaper electric planer I had just purchased as bare unit with case. If drilling lots of holes in bricks and block then the 18v SDS drill is another good buy, I have this too.

I would look at buying the drill with the 2x batteries. Definatley need two batteries.

I added a further battery and think I paid about £50 for it, so you getting a good deal with the drill etc.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

4Ah is bigger capacity (33% compared to 3Ah) so more charge time?

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Makita are fine. One piece of advice - hold it and try it t see if it feels right for your hands. I like how some brands sit in my hand and not others, a friend has almost the opposite opinion to me.

6. diy_dave

diy_dave New Member

I'm not able to comment of DeWalt stuff as I've never used it. But I can provide some information on Makita drills having done my on research on them not that long ago.

Firstly the drill itself, the important bit in the model number is the first 3 letter and 3 digits. Both the ones you've provided links to are the DHP453 model which is the brushed light duty drill - entry level. The previous models used to be BHP which you'd want to avoid. The other letters/numbers indicate the package. If it ends with a 'Z' it's a bare tool, no batteries or charger or case.

There's a good comparison table of all the ones available here https://www.its.co.uk/blog/buying-guides/what-makita-drill-to-buy-2017-2/ the DHP453 would sit on the left of the table. You'd probably want to get a DHP482 which is a general duty drill. I doubt it's worth you spending extra on a brushless one.

Next batteries, 3Ah/4Ah This the total amount of charge a battery can deliver in one hour. So the higher the capacity the longer it'll last, that's all. 2 x 3Ah would be better than 1 x 4ah as the other can be recharging while using the other.

There's also two different types of charger supplied with the kits, the SD and the RC models. The ones you've linked to includes the DC18SD charger which is the standard charger and is slower than the DC18RC fast charger, 60mins vs 22mins for a 3Ah battery.

If you do a search for "Makita DHP482RFWJ" it'll bring up one for £164 from PTW which is a Makita DHP482RFWJ 18v LXT White Combi Drill inc 2 x 3.0Ah Batteries, Charger & Makpac Case

The ones including an accessory set are generally made for DIY chains.

Jitender likes this.
  7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think I have the DHP459 drill, which says its for 'Light Duty', so maybe that's why its struggles on some jobs as less torque from drill.

I think I would go for the set DD has linked to as comes with the 22min charger, although I can manage with 60 minute, the quicker speed is useful.

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I've got a makita dhp458...it's a beast! Various deals around :)

9. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

10. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

I've got a brushless dewalt xr and i love it. Used to use makita lxt and liked them but i much prefer the dewalt in my hand. I prefer the trigger action too. It's done a fair bit of work and hasn't been phased by anything. Build quality is spot on imo.

But I reckon it's a matter of taste once you get into the 'pro' level. A case of if you like the 'feel' of it. Also a matter of what other cordless you may need because obviously it's better to have batteries that work in all your tools.

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I use Milwaukee I know it bit more pricey but it quality gear, TS are doing some good deals on Milwaukee

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Would think Makita will have a new range incoming, as a lot of places are out of stock of various DHP458 kits.

Bosch have just brought a new brushless drill GSB 18V-60 C.

14. P J Thompson

Kiab, honest question. I see a fair few comments like yours about dewalt being rubbish.
    I've not used the high end brands much but have used a lot of makita and a lot of dewalt. I can't think of a single experience that would make me think of either brand as rubbish. They have a similar build quality, similar performance, both are reliable..
    What is it that leads you to that judgement?

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The quailty of Dewalt today is poor compared to Dewalt tools of 15 years ago.
    A couple of year ago I spent nearly £300 on Dewalt cordless combi, it lasted two days, hammer assembly,gearbox destroyed itself, may have been just unlucky, but I wasn't going to give it a second chance, so after a lot of hassle, I got a refund & went back to Bosch.

And Makita don't escape my wrath, so I'm not bias, wanted a new sliding mitre saw, looked at a display Makita in tool shop, poor castings,slight movement of saw on guide rails,sliding across wasn't a fulid action.
    Whether it was due to it's use as as display model I don't know, but it wasn't a patch on my elderly Makita mitre saw.
    In the end I went for the Bosch GCM 8 SJL.

16. P J Thompson

Ah right, you may be right about the old vs new. I still have an old post battery style dewalt combi and it's still going strong. Whether the new one lasts as long, only time will tell. But if anything the build quality on the new one seems better than the old. I've got an XR SDS too and likewise that seems pretty solid and well built.

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

18. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

There was a time when DeWalt only supplied to trade and was good stuff now am not so sure

19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

At the end of the day, they all work and do the job. I've got a Bosch 10.8v twin pack which has worked for most of the things I do but needed a decent combi drill. Going forward with regards to investing in more 18v cordless kit, I chose Makita as they have a good range, reasonably priced and are well made. I've used some friends dewalt kit over the last year and they're ok, but do feel a bit cheap regarding build quality compared to the Makita. That's obviously just my impression based on a few different tools, not the complete range. If you've only had a cheap 'generic' cordless drill, a £100 'offer' one will seem light years ahead in comparison and then moving into the next price range, you notice the extra solidness and power, which is important if using regularly. My corded sds doesn't come out the box so regularly now, which suits me fine as it's annoying to set up the transformer to drill a couple of holes in brickwork etc when in a hurry.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I bought a 240v sds drill some years ago to use for bigger jobs around house, as I also find it annoying to drag out the tranformer, & the drill is slightly larger & heavier than 240v one.