Which electric shower?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Karen Lolley, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Karen Lolley

Karen Lolley New Member

I have a glow worm 30cxi combi boiler, and I want to instal a new electric shower. Which shower is best? I am looking at a Mira Sport Ma but it says not compatible with combi boilers. It's really confusing !!

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

an electric shower doesn't use the hot water produced by your boiler - it makes it's own, hence why they need a hefty power supply

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I got to admit, when I saw the post heading and then read the post, I did a double take as to the relevance of a combo boiler.:)

4. Karen Lolley

Karen Lolley New Member

So what is the best electric shower to get?

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

10.5 Kw Bristan Bliss - as with all electric showers make sure the cable feeding it is adequately sized

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  6. Karen Lolley

Karen Lolley New Member

Thanks, yes we are having the cable replaced to cope with a bigger shower.

7. Karen, you currently own the most awesomest of combi boilers wot provides the most awesomest of showers, and you want to fit a leccy shower?

Why?

8. I'm not biased.

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

maybe she doesn't want to shower in cold water if the boiler fails ?

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Or, not being allowed to turn on any other taps whilst someone's having a shower.:)

11. Karen Lolley

Karen Lolley New Member

Only because we already have an electric shower and we don't want the hassle of having to have a new mixer shower fitted. Just want to update what we have. We are moving abroad shortly and will be renting the house out so don't want to spend loads.

12. Karen Lolley

Karen Lolley New Member

Can someone please explain why the Mira Sport Max electric shower 10.5 kW is not suitable for combi boilers? I thought that electric showers would be fine for my boiler! Looked on Internet and there seems to be conflicting information. This is not as easy as I thought...!

13. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

an electric shower is in no way connected to your boiler - all it shares is the incoming mains water

they are totally separate and not in any way dependant

14. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Karen,, just have to ask,,, "Are you blonde?" :p:p:p:p

15. Karen Lolley

Karen Lolley New Member

As a matter of fact I am!!! It's on the Mira website that the shower not suitable fir combi boilers! Maybe just been looking too long.....

16. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

that's because if you want to fit a shower to your combi, using the hot water produced by it, then you'll have to use one specifically intended for that use - rather than an electric one which is intended to provide a completely standalone system irrespective of what boiler you have

17. Karen Lolley

Karen Lolley New Member

Ok thanks for your help

18. Typical manufacturer information that is almost designed to confuse.

An electric shower isn't suitable for any boiler - it's a completely different and separate entity and works completely independently of any other hot water heating system in your house.

Or, to put it another way, an electric shower is 'compatible' with every type of boiler :). Just don't stick it on the end...