Which Exterior Waterproof Glue?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by winterdiy, Aug 22, 2015.

1. winterdiy

winterdiy Member

Hi guys,
    I need to fix a thin (about 8mm thick) strip down the full length of an exterior hardwood door.
    Which exterior grade waterproof glue would you recommend ?
    Many thanks in advance.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I would use a PU glue, usually waterproof in 10 mins, wear gloves and be very prepared, try a dry run with all your clamps etc first, having a tub of drywipes ready is advisable.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yes. Sticky stuff :))

4. winterdiy

winterdiy Member

Thanks guys.
    Could you recommend a particular brand, preferably one I can get hold of from screwfix please.
    Also should I place the strip side on the hinge or the handle side of the door?
    Thank you

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I use Lumberjack 5 minute when fixing on site and 30 min in the workshop. Its because it will take that much longer when its cold or damp. But in general assume 5 min is set in 15-30 and 30 min is set in an hour. They also do a 45 min set which I have yet to try.

If you are packing out a door and giving it a bigger sizing put the strip on the hinge side. Its less noticeable and refitting the hinges is better than refitting the lock and handle. It might be worth trimming the hinge edge first to get a nice straight square angle and adding a thicker strip. You could easily oversize slightly and trim with a profile cutter and it would be a nice finish.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Woodweld.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seen that in a cartridge, but never tried it, does look good though.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Stick it on and clamp it, 10 mins later and it's never coming apart.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Surprised our host doesn't stock it.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

They stock a version that costs twice as much.