Which external wood glue

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Teki, Apr 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There is quite a difference between both products. The "white" Gorilla wood glue is weather "resistant" but the Evo Stik is weather "proof". The Gorilla glue will break down over time and exposure.

There are other types of glues (e.g. PU) and mastic (e.g. CT) that can be used. It depends on what you want to bond ?

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds in favour of the Evo Stik brand! :)

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

PU glues use moisture to cure so are waterproof.

5. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

I am trying to repair an external wooden windowsil where water has seeped into the wood, expanded and cracked it. I have treated the wood with Ronseal wet rot wood hardener and now just need to glue a broken piece back to the sil. So Evo Stik exterior wood adhesive would be fine to attach the loose piece back and a filler for the gaps?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Stick it back with 2 part filler such as 'Deca-Fil' and use this also to fill any gaps.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

An alternative would be to use something like PU glue, which will expand into the gaps as it fixes the piece back. The joint will need to be clamped until it sets. After applying the glue the joint will foam up and the excess will turn to a polystyrene consistency once dried. This will need to be cut off and filled afterwards with a good quality exterior filler

8. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Just to provide an update, I used the Evo Stik exterior wood adhesive and the broken piece has attached back to the main sil. The adhesion seems extremely strong as they mention, the join is stronger than the wood itself!

What should I use to fill any gaps in the wood and sand before painting? I couldn't find Deca-Fil?

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Screwfix do the Ronseal products and N0-nonsense they will both be ok for exterior use