Which gauge lining paper to use?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by superyiddo, Feb 25, 2017.

1. superyiddo

superyiddo New Member

Hi all,

Can any one advise the best thickness of lining paper I should use? I have solid walls and have stripped away the previous, hideous wallpaper. All obvious/nasty gouges and holes have been filled. Just not sure on best lining paper as there are a few hairline cracks here and there.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I'm only DIY me but have used a fair bit of lining paper myself

As you've said, walls have been filled and prepped which is great as lining paper isn't an absolute miracle cure as some people think !

Would suggest you give the walls a wipe down with a damp cloth to remove all dust and then size the walls with thinned out paste. Allow to dry overnight

Now the paper...... would suggest minimum 1400 grade - 1700, if the walls are in fairly good nick, just a few hairline cracks as you say. Follow manufacturers guide to letting the paper soak once pasted

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There is a lot of debate on putting lining paper up - some prefer vertical some horizontal, some butt joined and filled and the old way is to tear the edges.

I was taught a long time ago to lay lining paper horizontal and rip the top edge so that it feathers, the next horizontal layer overlaps about 6 inches and you tear the bottom and top edges etc. This way there is no continuous line to show through the top layer of paper

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I tend to line vertical, lining paper is slightly wider than standard wallpaper so the joints do not clash.
    Min 1400 I would say.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Hope your lining paper isn't 1400mm wide ;)

teabreak likes this.
  6. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Me no like paper. Are the walls bad enough to warrant it? Can they not be saved from it with a bit of Toupret? Rake out the hairline cracks to a V section, fill and sand?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How good do you want to go.....Top of the class? :) then use...Wallrock fibreliner 'plus' 180 so good it's recognised as an alternative to skimming and it's paste the paper or the wall. ;):cool:

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Doesn't that normally require adhesive rather than the normal paste ?

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, Wallrock Power Adhesive, ready mixed. :cool:
    It's in the terminology ...'Paste the wall', sounds better than 'Adhesive the wall' leading to 'Apply adhesive to the wall'. This is a smoother finish than the Wallrock Fibre liner 55, 75 and 100

10. superyiddo

superyiddo New Member

Thank you. In all fairness I didn't ask how to hang it lol. I am just after advice as to what gauge would be best suited. Cheers ;)
    Way over my head, . I'm sticking to pasting and just concentrating on taking my time to get a nice neat finish. Cheers

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Way over my head, . I'm sticking to pasting and just concentrating on taking my time to get a nice neat finish. Cheers
    Pasting the wall is arguably easier than pasting the paper as you paste the wall and hang the paper immediately as opposed to pasting the paper and letting it soak for 5+ minutes and then hang it plus the Wallrock is a much stronger wall covering as it is not paper but a fibre product recommended for wall such as in your description.

12. superyiddo

superyiddo New Member

Fair enough. I'll take a look into that. Nice 1

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

:cool: just in case somebody thought you could stick it on with Polycell ...

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If only people would read the destructions!:D:p

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

so you a vertical or horizontal liner ? (not talking Titanic here :))

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

More vertical but do both depending on the finish required ie: cross lining sometimes required prior to wallpaper finish.

17. Asilenaj

Asilenaj New Member

Is wallrock fibre liner really worth the extra money?
    I’ve bought lining paper 2000grade I intend to vertically line my lounge walls starting this afternoon ....sized yesterday
    I’m going to paint over it, I’m hoping the paper will cover areas of thin ol paint that wouldn’t sand off even with the orbital sander!