Which gloss to use on Primed MDF

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Zooki, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Zooki

Zooki New Member

Have a lot of new skirting boards made from mdf, they have been spray primed already at the factory.

In the bedrooms have original skirting boards which are were glossed (and yellow) many years ago by previous owner.

Which is a good shiny white gloss to use? Do oil based glosses still yellow?? And how long does it take for the paints to yellow? I need one which has at least 2 years life as a white :)

I did try painting using Leland water based gloss but found it runny and leaves brush strokes as it dries way too quickly

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Being using Crown Fast Flow white gloss here, very pleased with it.
    A lot of the problems with brush strokes with water based paint is down to the paint brush, I used a high quailty Purdy brush & get an excellent finish.

Our Astramax is the expert & can explain better than I can.

http://www.thepaintshed.com/product...tflow-quick-dry-gloss-white/c-24/c-354/p-1431

Johnstone's Aqua Gloss is another water based gloss, apparantly another excellent paint, had good reviews,never used it myself.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Crown 'Fast Flow' is the new kid on the block it has a small amount of oil in the make up to help flow and reduce brush marks which is a problem with total waterbased gloss paints, I have used fastflow in my hall and to be completely honest am not that impressed with the whiteness after drying and have had better results using Crown 'Solo' brilliant white gloss. No idea how long the FastFlow whiteness will last as it's a newish product to the market. You would be ok with 2 years whiteness from SOLO.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Any experience of Johnstone aqua gloss?

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No, I do not have knowledge of Johnstone paints. Bedec water based paints are very good.

6. Rough cut

Rough cut New Member

I used the johnstones aqua gloss a fair bit and have been back to do other jobs in the same houses and it has stayed white, it's not bad to use but being a hybrid it can gum up on your brushes and you don't really get any time to lay it off it tends to really drag and pull if you try to touch it in even after a few minutes. Two top Coates does give a nice sheen

7. Mrxrichie

Mrxrichie New Member

Use dulux new work gloss you will get a mirror effect finish bit more expensive but for new wood its the best i used it when doing new builds