Which grout colour with white gloss wall tiles?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Possom, Jul 15, 2017.

1. kevino

kevino Member

He likes sitting there and in the sink... he did once pee in the bath when accidentally left indoors!

2. Possom

Possom Member

Do you not find that using an anthracite grout (or any dark grout) makes all errors in the tiling stand out when used with a white tile?

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's November next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haven't you done the grouting yet :(

4. Possom

Possom Member

I haven't even bought the grout. A million other things to do (unfortunately). Thought I'd get it done now though.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Re-tiled kitchen splasbacks in my sisters kitchen with cream metro tiles and grey grout...looks good. With regards to tiling errors being showed up, don't make any! :D

What are you tiling?

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I told ya. Grout it white. Shade it with weak mix of coloured paint. It soaks into the grout but wipes off the tiles, leaving a tinted colour grout.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Possom

Possom Member

Bathroom with white gloss metro tiles.

8. Possom

Possom Member

I must have missed that/forgotten.

Why do you subsequently paint white grout as opposed to initially using the required colour of grout? Is it not just giving you extra work?

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Ok, if fully tiling, then set battens on each wall and tile off those. Just take you time and concentrate on one wall at a time. If there are a few little mishaps with regards to alignment, then you can often disguise them at grouting stage, with a bit of careful sponging:)

Possom likes this.
  10. Mr. Handyandy

Because you're not actually painting it(which would look cack) you are soaking in a light amount of colour of your choosing(you can't buy that in the shops).

I'll give you one example. Where I lived once, we had problems with wallpaper coming off the walls above an electric E7 heater. I removed some of the wallpaper and put two rows of tiles above the heater. I grouted it in white. It worked fine.
    The tiles were beige coloured, the remaining wallpaper, light apple green. The white grout looked out of place.
    I took a bright but dark, oil-based gloss green paint(half a teaspoonful) into a pot with 4 teaspoons of turps. Mixed it well together - looked like coloured water. Paint it on all over the grout and very easy to cut-in at the perimeter(because it soaks in), wait a couple of minutes and wipe off tiles easily. The colour stays in the grout, the tiles are clean. It looked a slightly darker shade of the wallpaper colour and it was a brilliant success. Spot on. It just looked like a slightly shaded colour of grout.
    You couldn't buy that in the shops!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Possom likes this.
  11. Possom

Possom Member

So the purpose is that you can get a precise shade/colour of grout which you can't necessarily purchase. That is, if you need the grout to be a specific shade you like, or need it to match some pre-existing decor.

12. Possom

Possom Member

Do you wipe the tiles with a dry cloth, or are you applying anything to it (e.g. turps)?

13. Mr. Handyandy

You can wipe it with a dry cloth. The mix is so thin, it ain't drying on the tiles anytime soon, but once it is in the grout, it is staying there. Buff it later as per normal tiling.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Possom likes this.