Which hinge jig to buy?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by sija1986, Apr 6, 2014.

1. sija1986

sija1986 New Member

After years of hanging doors using traditional the way i've decided it may be time to buy a hinge jig. Can anyone recommend which one to buy?

2. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Personally I use a Trend but there are others that I hear good things about. Always very knowledgeable and obliging on backup and Technical services. Use a Trend router as well. No...I'm not a Trend salesman!

3. sija1986

sija1986 New Member

Are they any good on old frames? But I suppose not as the position of the hinge is fixed on the jig so only good for new frames

4. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Sija, you can alter the positon that you cut the hinge into the door lining/frame. That is done by simply altering the block position within the aluminium body of the jig. So for example you may want to make the top hinge 6inch from the header and the bottom 9inch from the floor. Just adjust the blocks to that position and the 50th will be just as accurate as the first. The middle hinge can also be adjusted in a similar fashion.

The jig is easy to set up and you can be putting hinges into door leaves or door linings like a good 'un.

One tip. Some yrs ago I was refurbing an old council house. The spec was for new doors but the same linings. Out comes the jig and the router and BANG. The previous tenant had buried some old screws in the lining and made a real good job of it, so beware. Would I go back to chisel and mallet? ....No way.

5. I have the UNKIA Hinge jig its good but I wish I have bought the Trend as there is a lot more finer ajustmet than the UNKIA Jig. Vivaro Man I have had that happen on a new hollow core door looked like skin was loose and they have pined and filled it then sprayed it broke one of blades of my router bit and made me buy a new pair of pants too

6. sija1986

sija1986 New Member

Thanks for the replies guys its very helpful! So basically I've got two external doors to hang on thursday. so will the jig adjust to the position of the old hinges on the existing frame? Been looking at the other jigs but I think trend is the one. With 13 doors coming up in the next few weeks now was the time to buy the jig.

7. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Sija, yes the jig will adjust to allow you to cut and fit the hinges to the existing position.

Happy jigging.