Which masonry nailer do I buy ?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by murrmac, Apr 23, 2008.

1. murrmac

murrmac Member

I need to buy an air powered masonry nailer PDQ, ie a 16g nailer firing hardened nails which will fix skirtings and 19mm strapping to brickwork and blockwork.

As far as I can see the choice is between the Axminster AWMN Air Masonry Nailer at £80.00, and the Tacwise Rapesco FCT50LHH Timber to Masonry Air Finish Nailer 50mm
    at £108.00

I would be eternally grateful for any opinions, comments which could assist me in making a decision.

2. handcraft

handcraft New Member

murmmac im looking for one too but am not sure yete

lee

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've got a couple of the Axminster ones which I'm happy with. The compressor has to be able to give the correct pressure for it to work well.

4. murrmac

murrmac Member

Well, I have ordered the Axminster one.

They say they have not had any complaints from customers (well they would, wouldn't they) but I have always found Axminster reliable in the past, so fingers crossed.

The main factor in choosing the Axminster one is that it will fire 64 mm nails, whereas the Tacwise appears to be able to handle 50mm max.

I will post details as to how it performs, if there are no first hand reports on this thread .

5. murrmac

murrmac Member

chippie, most compressors will handle 100 psi, surely it doesn't require more pressure than that ?

6. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

dont think it is the pressure its the amout of air needed to drive a nail in. But i dont know much about em

7. SW

SW New Member

It's not just the pressure that matters, its also the volume of pressure available. For example you could have 100psi in a chamber of a size (lets say 1 Litre capacity)
    the nail gun may use half of that capacity in firing in one nail. The chamber will then only have half capacity available to fire the next nail, which will probably be at a lower pressure. If the compressor can't replace that capacity quicker than you can use it, then you arn't going to fire anymore nails til the volume of pressure increases.
    The larger the tank on the compressor, the better or more likely that you won't have any problems.
    The nail gun capabilities are completely different and separate from the compressor.

8. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

thats what i was trying to say. Was looking on the bostich site last night and they have a nailer that use 7 litres to fire 1 nail

9. murrmac

murrmac Member

> It's not just the pressure that matters, its also the
    volume of pressure available. For example you could
    have 100psi in a chamber of a size (lets say 1 Litre
    capacity)
    the nail gun may use half of that capacity in firing
    in one nail. The chamber will then only have half
    capacity available to fire the next nail, which will
    probably be at a lower pressure. If the compressor
    can't replace that capacity quicker than you can use
    it, then you arn't going to fire anymore nails til
    the volume of pressure increases.
    The larger the tank on the compressor, the better or
    more likely that you won't have any problems.
    The nail gun capabilities are completely different
    and separate from the compressor.

I am having a problem understanding this.

Are you suggesting that the volume of air in the nail gun chamber is somehow a factor?

I could see that being the case if the volume of air inside the nail gun were somehow separated by some kind of valve, but this is not the case, the pressure is equal throughout the system, at least as far as I understand it.

So if I am correct, the nail gun would work the same whether the volume of air in the chamber were 1 litre or 1/2 litre.

It's the back-up pressure in the compressor that is significant imo.

I could be totally wrong of course and as always, would be grateful for further elucidation.

10. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

what they are saying is the importance of the tank on your compressor,this iswhere the volume of compressed air will be held,meaning get the largest tank you can man handle and have space for in your van so thecompressor motor is not forever running trying to keep up with your nailing.simple example is large bodyshops they have huge tanks for the compressed air so when there are alot of tools connected and being used there is signifcant volume of compressed air to keep up with them

11. murrmac

murrmac Member

> what they are saying is the importance of the tank on
    your compressor,this iswhere the volume of compressed
    air will be held,meaning get the largest tank you can
    man handle and have space for in your van so
    thecompressor motor is not forever running trying to
    keep up with your nailing.simple example is large
    bodyshops they have huge tanks for the compressed air
    so when there are alot of tools connected and being
    used there is signifcant volume of compressed air to
    keep up with them

that I <u>do</u> understand, and was well aware of, what I didn't grasp was the statement that the volume of air in the actual chamber of the tool was of some significance, and that is the issue which I would like clarified.

12. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

The gun needs instant local access to compressed air or it cannot provide a hammer action. Air from the compressor tank (however large) is slowed down appreciably by having to travel down the hose connector before it reaches the gun.

13. murrmac

murrmac Member

> The gun needs instant local access to compressed air
    or it cannot provide a hammer action. Air from the
    compressor tank (however large) is slowed down
    appreciably by having to travel down the hose
    connector before it reaches the gun.

This makes no sense to me.

The pressure throughout the system is equal, are you suggesting that somehow the pressure at the nail gun end of the system can be significantly different (in any meaningful sense) from the pressure in the compressor reservoir ?

14. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

The pressure in the system is only equal throughout in static conditions.

As soon as the gun is fired the output pressure falls to almost atmospheric & has to be instantly backed up in order to drive in the nail.

The compressor hose delays the backup unacceptably. Under such rapid dynamic conditions the concept of 'meaningful sense' is meaningless.

15. murrmac

murrmac Member

I still don't buy it.

I can see that theoretically, if you had an air tool with say, a 2 liter chamber capacity and a mile long air line with a bore of 0.5 mm, then when you fired the gun there would be an appreciable time lag between firing the gun and getting the chamber back up to pressure.

however, in real life, given the relatively short length of air hoses and the relatively large bore, the system can be considered as instantaneous for all practical purposes, and the drop in pressure in the tool chamber equates to the drop in pressure in the compressor reservoir.

16. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

Oh well murrmac, I think I'll give up. Perhaps you can persuade the designers of masonry nailers that they don't need tool chambers & save them a lot of money.