which one to use?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by c-low-ray, Oct 15, 2014.

1. c-low-ray

c-low-ray New Member

I am about to change the main fuse box in my house.

On my wall is a simple white box with two red fuses and two white fuses and a big red clunky switch. That's it!

I want to change it for a newer RCD? unit while at the same time adding another breaker for the shed in the garden.

I know this has to be certified and have a qualified man ready to do this part but the rest is down to me.

Can anyone tell me or point me to the correct fuse box to use for this installation? Also, can you recommend a good unit for the shed? I will need two rings and 1 lighting circuit out there.

I know you'll probably be saying that if I need to ask this, I shouldn't be doing it. My only problem is the vast array of C.U.'s out there and ebay doesn't really want to help unless you know what you're after.

I don#t foresee the need to make this system any bigger in the future so for the in-house part, I'll be keeping it as needed for now, 2 rings - 2 lights - and the extra breaker (40amp) for the shed.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Sounds like an old proteous type?

[​IMG]

You want a dual split load type. My preference would be either a Hagar, MK or the new domestic Schnieder ones. Nothing too wrong with the cheaper brands, they are just budget.

Your electrician will likely have a preference, and would be best left to select himself.

He should also be upgrading your main protective bonding if required, and testing all circuits (ideally before replacing the CU!)

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

If you want a proper job (and can afford it) I would go for a 5-way RCBO board. Dual RCDs are budget. In fact if you have access to a Denmans wholesalers or your sparky does, go for a pre-loaded Denmans Curve 10-way which comes with 6 RCBOs for £90 plus VAT. That's one in my avatar! I have fitted loads of these now and have no problems whatsoever. Plenty of space to wire them up. :)

KIAB and FatHands like this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sounds like the OP is swapping the board over himself, hence asking advice on what board to go for

I think the plan is the sparky is signing off the work

Can't offer any advice but that's how I've read the post

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

As Un would go for for a full RCBO, the supply to the garage can be a MCB and then just have an RCD CU in the shed. Would always go for bigger board at least 3 spares then is required.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I'm surprised no one has suggested a total rewire, the board the OP plans to swap over is of a certain age, an age that would suggest the wiring is at least as old, I fail to see the point in bringing the board up to current spec on wire that not.

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Dunno Phil tbqh. When I rewired my gaff what some 15 years ago the cable I took out was stranded 2.5 and 1.5 and I could see no degradation of the cable whatsoever - it was ultra supple and had no evidence of brittleness etc - I didn't ir it though tbqh.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

No Sparky will sign off for that Mr Dave tbqh - to many variables.

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I would say that without knowledge of the circuits and without test instruments a CU upgrade is not possible. Introducing RCDs on to an old installation without being able to test is inviting trouble. An RCD will "find" any latent defects, commonly borrowed neutrals and N/E faults. Not a job for a DIYer IMHO.

KIAB and FatHands like this.
  10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi JP;

Yep I do realise that the OPs proposed method of works aint right and he may find it hard to get the swap signed off but didn't feel its right for me to say that

I was only saying that to me, it seems clear that the OP was swapping the board himself, then he has a "qualified man ready to certificate" :rolleyes:

The first couple of answers were suggesting that the sparky would be supplying / advising on the board

I guess a lot of people on here are asking for advise so as they can carry out work themselves, although not qualified of allowed to do so ?

11. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Your electrician will source your CU for you and at a better price

I think you might be having a go at this yourself owing to the questions asked which I will advise you not to do as thats why we have electrical engineers.

12. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

If the grey sheathed cable has stranded cores (not solid cores) it's at least 40 years old.

I'd want to give the place a full test for peace of mind.

13. dave.sparky

dave.sparky New Member

I used stranded 2.5 T&E untill I retired about 8 years ago, it was always available, much easier to work with but more expensive, I refused to use solid conductor cable.

14. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

You aren't an Electrician, are you? get one in pronto before you kill someone, not a job for a DIYer, can;t believe advice is being given, it's a job for a professional