Which Paint To Buy? Dulux? Johnstones? Leyland?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Kryptonite, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Member

Hi

I need a bit of advice which paint to buy and what would be recommended, today I just walked into a decorators shop in my local town and bought 4 x 2.5l of Johnstones eggshell paint and 4 times Johnstones undercoat to paint my architrave and skirting boards which have been newly fitted, I?ve just been told by a friend that Johnstones is cheap paint, I?m not a decorator and have no knowledge of paints and its quality. I need to paint my whole house 4 bedrooms and 7 internal doors with eggshell pure brilliant white, can someone recommend me what undercoat to go for and what paint? Johnstones? Leyland? Dulux? And what i should be looking out for?

And are all eggshell paint acrylic?

Thanks

2. surfermick

surfermick New Member

the best paint in my experience is dulux trade, its the paint i always offer my guarantee to the customer on and i think i have probably tried them all. however, johnston is actually a decent paint, ive had good results both interior and exterior with it. the answer to your water based question is that the powers that be are trying to change all paints to water based, i know they have been fazing oil based out for a while as ive often found it difficult to find. if you buy dulux paint from b&q it may well be water based, however, if you go to a dulux trade counter i believe you can still buy oil based eggshell.although i must add that its been a while since i have needed to buy eggshell, as a lot of people around here opt for gloss or (i hate this one) the customer buys the paint themselves.

3. Kryptonite, I'm not a painter but have done a lot of painting. I can't tell you which paint is best, but I've always been told that Johnstone's is - as Mick says - decent stuff. I doubt, in practice, you'd notice any difference bewteen it and, say, Dulux.

You're going for 'eggshell' paint - that's good. I presume it's water-based? In which case, whilst it might be a wee bit more tricky to apply, it will at least give you a true brilliant white finish that'll stay that way.

One thing I was ask you to check - are you applying this to bare or previously-primed timber? If 'bare', then isn't 'primer' what you need and not 'undercoat'? And most water-based paints can - I believe - be applied straight to primer and doesn't need an 'undercoat'.

Unless what you have is oil-based eggshell? In which case you may want to ask the pros on here whether it'll stay white over a couple of years.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Member

ok so i think i should go for Dulux Trade Diamond Eggshell Brilliant White

now im confused whats the difference between primer and undercoat, i need to paint bare wood, its brand new wood. do i need to prime it or undercoat it?

would dulux white undercoat be any good?

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

New unpainted wood, use primer followed by undercoat, or buy an acrylic primer/undercoat.

6. Kryp, is that Dulux water or oil-based?

My understanding is, oil-based benefits from Primer > Undercoat > Topcoat, whereas with water-based you can leave out the 'Undercoat'. (Mind you, water-based will likely need more Top-coats anyways :) )

(Primer is designed to adhere to and seal new timber. Undercoat is designed to prepare the finish ready for the top-coat - that's my understanding anyways!)

If there are any knots in the wood - especially resinous-looking ones - then use knotting liquid (what's it called?) first. Now't more soul-destroying than seeing dark circles appearing a few months after your lovely paint job.

7. apl

apl Member

Get some of this.........

http://www.screwfix.com/p/colron-knotting-solution-125ml/50926?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=750896

Some of this..........

http://www.screwfix.com/p/acrylic-primer-2-5ltr-white/64719#

Then put whatever topcoat you want on. Make sure you prep the surfaces first- wash, sand, dust down, etc. Sand lightly in between coats too

Johnstones, Leyland, or Dulux all do a topcoat (oil or water) that will fit your requirements. On the wood, I'd go for Dulux diamond satinwood, been much improved recently (water based and goes in two coats)

8. surfermick

surfermick New Member

do not mix oil based with water based, they dry at different speeds which creats cracking;)

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Member

Ah ok.

So what I need is an oil based primer and oil based paint

Or

Water based primer and water based paint ?

10. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Oil based paint (specially the brilliant white) does tend to yellow with age, whereas water based acrylic paint does stay white a lot longer. For gloss paints the oil based does produce a better finish than the acrylic. Drying times too are completely differnet between the two types of paint. Oil based can take up to 24hrs to dry, ready for the next coat of paint (and can take weeks to dry out completely) Acrylic (water based) paints are touch dry in less than a few hours and can beĀ  re-coated in the same time. ;)