Which Roller Type For Dulux Diamond Eggshell On Woodwork

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Monkey Chops, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Hi,

I've got some Dulux Diamond Eggshell water based paint for doing a lot of skirting, architrave, doors and stairs and last time I used it, I had quite poor results, lots of brushmarks, just generally looked rubbish, even though I'd prepared the surfaces well. I did some reading and found that as the weather was warm, I should have thinned the paint and I also used fairly cheap Harris brushes.

This time I've bought decent brushes, but I'm wondering if using a mini foam roller will give better results? Should save time too as there's a lot to paint.

Is a foam roller the way forward. or do I need something else?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use a better quailty brush like a Purdey Monarch Elite Synthetic.

Where is our master painter Astra.:)

Monkey Chops likes this.
  3. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Cheers,

I bought some silver fox brushes, they came recommended. Are you saying the brushes will be a better finish than a roller?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never used Silver fox brushes,& I'm not a painter, but do use Purdey brushes, & a quailty synthetic paint brush shouldn't leave brush strokes if my memory is correct.

Our Astramax is the painter on here who can answer your question fully.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As KIAB says a very good synthetic brush to be used the best being PURDY Monarch elite, I put the Diamond range of paints on with a 4" mohair roller dampened first with water (also dampen brush) and then lay off with the brush, so it's a combination of brush and roller use and reasonable speed. Practice makes perfect as well as trial and error.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  6. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks mate. Just so I'm clear, laying off is just running a damp brush through the paint after rolling to smooth it?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Basically yes, the brush will remove the roller stipple and give a uniform finish but obviously lay off in the direction of the wood grain. Two coats produce a superior finish but go by the Dulux's re-coat time.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  8. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

OK thanks for that, much appreciated.

I have a quick question about the primer. I bought the Dulux water based multi surface primer and undercoat, but it didn't occur to me that that might be a pig to apply also. Do we treat that in the same way as the eggshell for applying it?

Thanks again.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

On the container it will state that eggshell is self undercoating so no undercoat required unless it's bare timber the primer should be enough. However should you be happier using undercoat use it especially if there is going to be a colour change.

10. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Yes, spot on. I've got bare timber on the stairs, some door frames and skirting in the hallway and the edges of the doors. My only worry was the brushmarks as it really did look rubbish last time. So apply in the same way as the eggshell with roller and wet brush?

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes but don't keep going over with the brush as you would with an oil base eggshell.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  12. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

OK, will get started in the morning, I reckon some testers on offcuts first...cheers :)

13. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Back again. So I was meticulous in my preperation, lovely flat surfaces, all bare wood was primed using the recommended primer/undercoat. I have also used pre primed mdf architrave and skirting. I wet all surfaces prior to rolling the eggshell on and then layed off with a damp brush, but the paint seems to become sticky nearly right away and then laying off is difficult and the paint is full of brush marks. Temp in the house has been 20/21c.

The brushes that I was using, the bristles were clumping into fingers, and so when I was laying off, I was fighting with that as well.

Going to have to sand the entire lot and start over, it just looks terrible. Surely dulux diamond eggshell can't be so difficult to use? I've ordered some different brushes, Tempted to go with different paint, but it's not defeating me yet!

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What brushes are you using and are they synthetic?

Monkey Chops likes this.
  15. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks for the reply.

They are the silver fox brushes, not had much luck with them...yes, synthetic, came recommended, but they have been dropping bristles, bristles coming out at odd angles, clumping together. Just makes it that much more difficult to learn.

Proform Picasso is what I was looking at or purdy monarch elite. The silver foxes seem a bit stiff for laying off too.

Is it even possible to do architrave and skiting with this stuff and have no brush marks? Best I've managed is fine marks, but it looks like textured paint!

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Today I used Dulux Diamond Eggshell in an office, skirting, architrave, and window boards all painted using a Purdy monarch 1.5" no problems. Do not keep going over the paint as you will create brush marks. It is important you use the correct brush, if yu have a Brewers decorating outlet near you they have an offer on Purdys at the moment.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Thought you were gonna do some test pieces first

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Monkey Chops likes this.
  18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Sometimes you just have to give in and use paint-pads.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Monkey Chops likes this.
  19. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

I did some testers on small bits of offcut architrave and they came out with fine brush marks, but what I didn't bank on, was that if I was doing a larger area, such as the inside of a door frame, its easy to roll on the paint, but laying it off is difficult with the brushes I've got and the paint I'm using.

20. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

The trouble I have, is that first time I run the wet brush through the fresh paint, it leaves quite bad brush marks. I tried to leave it like that, but the marks are deep and unsightly. Got to be the brush then?

No brewers here, but I am going to grab a monarch elite from somewhere tomorrow, thanks for that. :)