Which Roller Type For Dulux Diamond Eggshell On Woodwork

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Monkey Chops, Aug 27, 2015.

1. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I'll readily admit that I am no painter, I think paint pads are great !!! ;););)

Monkey Chops likes this.
  2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would say two thinned layers by brush would be better all round.

Just seen malkies. Paint pads are good for smooth finishes.

Other way of smoothing (laying off) is with damp sponge.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Monkey Chops likes this.
  3. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks again, hadn't even thought of paint pads...i wonder if they'll get on with the dulux eggshell? Any recommendations?

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Paint pads are frowned upon and seen as DIY disability aids, and I don't think are graded like brushes, so general DIY use set of 3 sizes probably mostly all the same quality. There's a knack as there is in any tool, but you can 'one-swipe' apply, which makes good for smooth application.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

OK thanks for the help, I'll see what tomorrow brings.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Having given some thought to this maybe you are spreading the paint too thin and not putting enough on your brush in the first place, don't think of using this paint in the same way as you would an oil based paint, same principle different technique.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

When I buy Monarch elite brushes, I always wash them before use.

Wonder what Astramax view is on doing that.

8. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks!

Brushes turned up but they were Monarch elite XL in the box, so have used what I had, with a new laying off brush, which is really good for what I'm doing. So I've changed method again, thinned the paint roughly by 10-15%, this definitely makes it easier to work with, but on it's own, I was still getting brush marks until I tried the laying off brush and just using that wet after rolling on the paint seems to leave the finish with only very fine brush marks. The only downside to thinning the paint is that the roller slides around without turning. I'm sure this is just my lack of skill, but it definitely feels more slippery after thinning.

Anyway, this coat looks much better, just waiting to see how it looks in the daylight tomorrow, hopefully that's that and I can get on with the doors.

Thanks for your assistance, much appreciated :)

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I wet them and shake of the excess water prior to use but not wash them.

10. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Does anyone know the difference between the Elite and Elite XL? Cheers.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well looking here: http://www.purdy.co.uk/resources/faqs/

What‘s the differences between Monarch Elite & Pro Extra Monarch?

Our Monarch Elite brush is versatile, designed to work well with both oil based and water based paints. Its designed to give a great finish and will pick up and lay off a lot of paint. The Pro Extra Monarch is a stiffer brush, it has a blend of Chinex, Tynex & Orel filaments which will lay off 30% more paint than the rest of the range and makes it the best choice in the range when working with oil based paints.

The Pro Extra Monarch I presume to be the XL, have a blue line in the bristels.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If t
    If they are the blue tipped version the bristle is stiffer and better suited for moving oil based paints around. The

Monkey Chops likes this.
  13. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

They aren't the Pro Extra, they are the XL Elite Monarch, no blue lines or anything anywhere. They look like the normal Elite, but it says stiff on the front of the packaging and chinex/polyester. Not got the normal elite to compare with.