Which Scaffolding Tower

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Theleman, Jul 29, 2016.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

They don't have to be heavy, that's the point of ali.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Post a link.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Whilst the steel quick stage is heavy, it does provide a nice rigid and solid platform to work off. The advantage as well is that you aren't limited to fixed heights and widths by mixing the sizes

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  4. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I tried, but doesn't seem to work. I wonder if this site doesn't allow links in the posts.

5. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I looked various towers both eBay and Amazon, and the best one seems the Galvanized Steel Scaffolding Tower. It seems compromise between Aly and Paint Dipped Steel Towers, whilst offering rust free structure, it is rigid and heavy and easy to assemble - weighs over 200 kg total, and can hold up to 300 kg (150 kg each platform board x2).

Max. working height is 7.5m for £550, way more than my budget but if it is better option, then we might consider.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Waste of money in my opinion, how often will it be used.

Hire one, cheaper, as I said earlier better preparation & paint on windows, they won't need painting for 5 years or so then.

7. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Yup we are thinking of hire option as well. I think my wife will decide, in the end :) as usual. I just feed her with the info and options. :)

When you hire, do they come and set it up for you, or do they just dump the tower in the drive way, so you must pick them up and assemble it yourself?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Mind just drop it off, & I erect it,but most will give advice on setting up, just make sure it's set up level, a few millimetres out at ground level, can be a lot more at height.

The MiTower quick build tower from HSS Hire is a doddle to put up.

http://www.hss.com/hire/p/mitower

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  9. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Make sure it's on solid ground,not soil or grass! If any part of it,leg or brace is on a soft surface then put a decent wooden spreader under it,e'g large piece of thick timber,it may sit fine when you're on the ground but get somebody up top and the last thing you want is it toppling over.If you can then I'd anchor it at the top as well.

10. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Thanks for the link.

Looks like a great tower. Would love to have one, but seems quite dear to buy. Yeah we are considering hire option. I think it is about £75 per a week inc. VAT.

11. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Yup, our patio is all mono blocked around back of the house, so it is solid everywhere. Great advice, by the way. Thanks.

So the outriggers should be a must, I guess. I have some old chip boards in the shed, so was going to use them for putting the tower on, when it arrives.

Haven't decided yet, which one to go for. Maybe in this week, hopefully.

12. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Defo want outriggers wouldn't want to risk it tipping over

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I tend to buy them then once the work is finished move them on, always a demand on the auction sites or locally with people looking for them. Quite often when I have some scaffold , a few mates end up hiring / borrowing depending on how much I like them :D

14. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

We got one with 7 metre height and 4x out riggers from eBay. It feels a bit flimsy, but works. I managed to paint all 7 windows on the tower on it.
    At first, I felt dizzy and was scared of the height, but got used to it.

It took weeks and weeks to finish scraping the old paint, applying hardener on the wooden frames, and filling holes with wood filler, and then painting, because on rainy and windy days, I could not go up to the tower. Also each steps of the work required drying time.

So hiring the tower could have been more expensive.

15. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

A suggestion.
    You might be able to Hire it out to local people.
    Don't forget the disclaimer, & heavy deposit.
    (might need advice on that)