Which screws for base cabinet to wall using space plug?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by zedlep, Apr 21, 2016.

1. zedlep

zedlep New Member

Hi,
    I thought I'd use space plugs to attach my cabinets to the wall rather than angle brackets. They come with a 6mm drillbit so red wallplugs are suitable and 8-10 ga (4-5mm) screws.
    The cabinet rail is 18mm depth, behind that the back panel is 9mm then there is the 50mm gap to the wall, then I have ~30mm plaster before breeze block. I don't want to crack the plaster so want a little depth for the plug, say 20mm, so total length of screw needed is 120mm+.
    I've looked (internet admittedly) for screws 5mm x 130mm pozi but drawn a blank for this size:
    Anybody any suggestions where I could get this screw size? Many thanks.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You can get 5x120mm screws from our hosts.
    I doubt your plaster is 30mm
    How long is your masonry drill bit?

3. zedlep

zedlep New Member

Thanks Chippie. You're right about the plaster, s'about 20 and a bit millimetres so I popped in screwfix and got meself the 5mm x 120mm. Masonry bit is 200mm so reckon job's a good un.
    First diy kitchen fit so taking every step slow and careful...might be done by May bank hol at this rate!

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My own kitchen took about 18 months from start to finish and I knew what I was doing.
    My wife is in the process of re-designing it.
    So far this week I have changed a stand alone unit into a butchers block thingy with orange boxes instead of drawers and then rearranged the pantry.
    I used to have soft closer drawers and now I have boxes on slats, apparently this is an improvement. :eek::eek:

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I share your pain, i am going through the same process but have unusual design constraints my other half is 4ft 11 and we have just shy of 10 ft ceilings. Putting things where she can reach means there is a lot of wasted space. Seriously thinking of installing one of those ladders on rails like you see in old fashioned libraries.

malkie129 likes this.