Which screws to fix a creaking floor?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jorg13, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Oh for heaven's sake!

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Strangely, I know that too. But think about what that unthreaded part and the smooth underside of the countersink does when met with wood. It squeaks when the wood flexes.
    Full-threaded screws don't squeak. The threads don't allow one to move against the other.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

4. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

For laminate floor I have used Quickstep, 7mm with 4 edge champher and their own 3mm dense underlay.
    Superb finish and dead solid.
    No glue needed...and resistant to high heels !
    I suspect that full thread or part thread on screws will do the job as the timber humidity has stabilised and wont vary much now.(not a carpener tho)
    Might be a different story on new build and wet timbers....particulary low grade OSB board...which im my opinion is S******....and should only be used for shelving.
    Look for where boards have been lifted before..as you may want to add extra support...and gain easy access for camera/boroscope as mentioned before.
    RS

5. Jorg13

Jorg13 New Member

UPDATE:

So I used the Floor Tite Screws:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/floor-tite-screws-4-2-x-55mm-200-pack/49231

I used about 300 of them in the bedroom alone. It improved it by easily 80 - 90% but there are still a few squeaks in some areas and I can't seem to get rid of them no matter how many screws I use.
    Is there anything else I can try? Could the squeak come from the tongue rubbing against the groove?

There is also a really bad squeak where the floor meets an interior wall. I could try to screw the bottom wood of the wall into a floor board. Unfortunately the wall is not on top of a joist.

I attached a picture of the room.

https://ibb.co/mp4g65

https://ibb.co/mp4g65

[​IMG]

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Jesus Christ, looks like Swiss cheese! It won't be the tongue and groove causing the squeak, the timbers rubbing against a fixing somewhere causing it. When screwing boards down, I stand on top of the board to hold it as tight against the joist as possible, then screw it down. Sometimes if a joist is a bit high, the adjacent joists will have a small gap between it and the floorboards, putting weight on it whilst driving screws will narrow the gap as tight as possible. Find a squeak, remove the screws from the joist and its adjacent ones, and screw it back down whilst standing on top of the joist you're screwing into.

The squeak by the stud wall is unfortunately caused by the nails that are fixed into the sole plate through into the flooring below rubbing with the flex in the floor. Unless you want to pull your skirting off, remove some plasterboard and lever the nails out with a claw bar and refix with screws, you're probably going to have to live with it I'm afraid. Or you could try removing your skirting and tapping in some thin packers under your wall near the nail positions, then pumping clear silicone along the wall floor intersection. It's a bit of a bodge, but if it works, it works.

7. Jorg13

Jorg13 New Member

Thanks. You'd leave the packers in permanently though, right? You won't take them back out once the silicon is in?

I was kneeling on the boards as I was putting the screws down but I'll try again while standing exactly on the joist. After removing the screws, can I use the same screws in the same holes again while standing on the board?
    I left the original nails in too and basically added a lot of screws to them. Would you have taken them out?

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yeah leave the packers in, it'll hopefully stop any flex which will hopefully stop any squeak. If it's a possibility to take the nails out of floorboards and replace with screws then go for it, but if the boards are going to get ruined try to drive a screw close to the original nails to try to pull the board down tight. I know its a bit late as you've basically done it already but watch out for cables and pipes yeah? :)

9. Jorg13

Jorg13 New Member

That's what I've done. I started by putting in screws where the nails were. Then I just added loads haha.

If i use the same screws in the same holes after loosening them, would they still grip the same?

Good thing is i had a plumber and an electrician recently and asked them about the wiring and pipes. Apparently all safe but I used a stud / wire finder anyway.

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yeah the same screws will be fine mate.

chippie244 likes this.
  11. Doall

Doall Active Member

You should try the lottery op as if I was to screw that many screws down I’d hit every pipe possible lol

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

He clearly doesn't need to win the lottery if he can afford that many screws!

Doall likes this.