Which thermostatic mixer shower with Combi boiler?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by BashaBolla, Mar 8, 2017.

1. BashaBolla

BashaBolla New Member

Hi all
    I will shortly be having a 38KV combi fitted - 15.2 l/min ( 4 beds 2 bath with very good water pressure) .
    I am looking for suitable thermostatic shower mixers ( my current Mira 88's are apparently not suitable for combi )
    I like good powerful showers - only 1 person living in house so no complications about 2 showers running at once.
    Cost for 2 x Mira Excell is approx. £700 +
    Cost for 2 Grohtherm 1000's is approx. £300.
    Mira state Excell delivers 13l/min at 0.5 bar but I can find no comparable data for Grohtherm to give me a guide if it has a comparable flow rate !
    In order to justify the extra £400 I would like to know what is so special about the Excell ? ..is the claimed " 3 x more flow than other showers" just marketing bull or is it a reality?
    Could anyone help me with any data for the Grohtherm please? ..(or suggest another good quality reliable combi compatible thermostatic mixer with high flow rate at a reasonable price ? )

Many thanks !

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

we have this https://tinyurl.com/gplhed5 on worcester bosch 32 combi and its perfect. Go with the Grohe. I'm pretty sure its also rated up to 13l/min. Of course, with a 15l/min boiler you'll still only just run 2 showers at once, and they will die if someone opens a tap elsewhere.....

4. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

You can't have 2 showers being fed from a combi boiler, one must be mains fed electric

5. Astonishingly lack of specifications available for the Grohe - I can't find flow rates even on their own website.

Having said that, it does appear to be a very good set, and I don't believe you'll have flow issues at all.

I think where the Mira Excel would win out on its super-dooper flow is on gravity-fed systems as it'll seemingly handle very low supply pressures, right down to 0.1bar, I think.

But that simply ain't an issue for you with your mains-powered combi, so I would go with Grohe (hey - an advertising jingle...) in your position.

Perhaps also consider the Mira Agile ERD if you want a dual-head thingy? A bit more at £250 each, but looks nice :). Or one Agile and one Grohe...

6. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

who says? got 4 running off mine and it will run two at full chat without problem.......

don't get the bit about electric shower either, what regulations govern that?

7. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Got 2 mira excells here running of a Vaillant combi, can't fault them, not had a Grohe but friends do and are happy.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. What type of combi boiler do you have?!

In general, you cannot successfully run two showers from a single combi boiler.

9. They are both good makes and shouldn't have any issues.

The Mira Excel seems like a real top-of-the-range item, but I think it'll only prove itself worthwhile when you have low pressure situations - which do not apply to combis.

10. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

grant 36. however i agree with you, need to be the right boiler to run 2 at the same time.

still don't know which regulation says you MUST have an electric shower. It might be recommended but it is not a "must" to me

11. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

I wonder what system is being pulled out? Done a rewire recently on a 4 bed 2 bathroom house and the so called plumber persuaded the customer to rip out an unvented cylinder and install a combi...Couldn't understand it my self.

12. I suspect strongly that G&W meant that to successfully run two showers at the same time from yer standard combi, one 'must' have to be instant electric.

You are running two showers simultaneously from a 36kW jobbie? That's reassuring. I'm guessing your mains water supply must be pretty good?!

In any case, this isn't an issue for the OP Basha as he says there will only be one shower run at a time.

13. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Should clarify my earlier post.
    Although i have 2 x mira excels on a combie, i wouldn't run both at the same time as the flow does drop considerably.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  14. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Actually mains pressure is ok but flow is awful. So we have a seperate 3 bar booster with 200ltr tank. So the booster copes it will deliver 30l per minute.... Drives two showers ok.

You make an interesting point, it is not the combi that is the critical issue but mains flow rate. A combi and electric together will not help if mains flow is poor.

15. So you have a 36kW boiler AND a pumped supply?! Jeepers, no wonder you can run two showers simultaneously!

That ain't the same as running two showers of a single combi, man :).

The reason why a combi and an electric shower is more valid is because the leccy shower uses very little water compared to a combi shower, so it would be like having a combi shower and a cold tap running partially open. In most cases you could have both running side-by-side.

But two showers direct off a combi? Only a very limited number of combis - coupled with an excellent mains supply - can do this.

16. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

It's basic maths

14ltr hot water from combi

2 x 8ltr showers = no water,

Oi!!! I'm having a shower who's running the tap downstairs!!!!

That's why

17. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

It is always useful to have an alternative available. If your combi goes t***s up, an electric shower still enables you to wash.