Which to fit, LPG or OIL boiler ?????

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by multijack, Nov 29, 2014.

1. multijack

multijack Member

Hi all , I'm gonna need a complete system to run 5/6 rads and DHW for a smallish 2 bed detatched granite farm cottage (approx 45mtrs sq footprint with same upstairs ), I've had combi boilers on mains gas before which I loved but this time round I'll be middle of nowhere so trying to decide between lpg or oil fired.

I kind of like the idea of "instant hot water on demand" rather than a big tank of hot water that may or may not get used ... seems wasteful ..... so I'm leaning toward lpg but still very much undecided....

So , is it possible to have "on demand" from oil ?

Is one vastly cheaper to run than the other ?

Is one vastly cheaper to install than the other ?

Is one cheaper than the other for yearly servicing ?

etc etc etc etc ?????????

any thoughts greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

2. stu1312

stu1312 Member

If you're in a rural area I'd be tempted to go for gas as there is a lot of theft of oil going on from domestic oil tanks.

3. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

I agree with Stu,oil theft goes on all the time now I have quite a few customers on oil that have had to have alarms fitted to their tanks after thefts.
    Go for the gas;)

4. Wood chip... :)

(Lots of grants and very cheap to run. Oh yes, it's meant to be green too...)

5. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

I had never really thought of someone swiping your oil [​IMG]

6. stu1312

stu1312 Member

It happens a lot down here in devon, the thieves have been known to follow the tankers round on delivers making note and then coming back later to rob it.

7. multijack

multijack Member

In west Cornwall here and oil theft does happen, had thought I could build a locked/secure cage around tank if oil was the way forward.

Hadn't thought about woodchip, sounds bulky and not very "instant".

Is there not much difference to choose between oil and lpg systems other than fuel theft ???

8. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

They both do the same job multijack,the choice is yours.

9. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Its a difficult choice as in both cases prices will fluctuate. May be worth speaking to a few of your neighbours and see what they have, as for the servicing side again its a pretty similar in costs but again prone to fluctuation.

10. Wood chip is not instant, so I believe you'd need a hot cylinder. BUT it's fully automated (fed by a hopper which is part of the unit), MUCH cheaper than either gas or oil (and no horrible tanks outside), and you get a whopping grant to help install the boiler and I think you get regular payments depending on how much it's used - which can almost mean it pays for itself.

I only know a wee bit about this, but my bro is seriously considering it for his wee hoosie in t'Utter Hebrides.

I'd recommend you look in to this or you could well end up kicking yourself quite hard. Financially.

11. multijack

multijack Member

Well .... I've just had a good rumage around the web on all things woodchip and I'm less than convinced it's the way for me, seems it does kind of pay for itself through the rhi scheme ( near pays for installation over the 7yr payment scheme ) but the pitfalls with claimed reliability issues and servicing costs are a tad offputting and it seems it'll be running all summer when no heating is required just to supply hot water. I'm sure it's more of a tempting idea up in the Scotland and on the surrounding islands due to climate but I aint so sure it makes sense down here ...... Looks like it's a straight fight between lpg and oil for me.

I'm having trouble working out if oil fired boilers will supply truly "instant" hot water , hella lot of oil combi boilers seem to make reference to an "integral tank" which I assume is for hot water storage of one sort or another but different to a traditional cylinder , doesn't strike me that oil would produce a hot enough flame for "instant" hot water , unless its atomised and high pressure jetted I suppose , but then , I'm a builder not a plumber ...... could any of you kind gents give me a definitive on that ??

12. Thanks for looking at woodchip - and that's useful feedback for my bro :).

I can't answer your Q about 'instant' delivery from an oil unit, but the integral tank makes sense, and is in fact used in some gas combi boilers too to provide just what you say, instant HW. I know that my GlowWorm gas jobbie fires up every now and then to keep it all 'hot' inside ready for action, even tho' it doesn't have a HW storage tank inside as such.

You want definitive answers? Email the manufacturers of a couple of oil boilers :). I'm not sure there are many 'oil' peeps on here, tho' I could be wrong.

13. multijack

multijack Member

e-mail time it is then

The main problems around woodchip seemed to be that they're nearly all continental built so when they go wrong there can be delays with part supply and leave you with no heating for a couple weeks , that alongside a limited number of people who service and work on them cos in this country at least they are a relatively rare thing to have..... I've kind of assumed that you'd need dry storage for pellets as well as I guess they have an acceptable humidity range for burning just like any woodburner ...... I'd do a hell of a load of research before I ever committed to one :)

Thanks for the help fellas :D

14. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Oil combi boilers have very good DHW flow rates as they have a very high boiler water content which is like a small thermal store. Oil combis can be fitted outside - recommended. Rural properties tend to have more space around them for this.

LPG is the same as many mains natural gas appliances. Some models are identical with a few amendments. Gas boilers are not external, apart from the Vokera balcony model.

The great thing about oil and LPG is that you are not restricted in size to what comes down a gas pipe from the street. I know someone who got an excellent deal on a 100kW oil external boiler. He fitted a large plate heat exchanger, flow switch and 3-way diverter valve at the side of the boiler converting it to a combi. It belts out DHW. Similar with LPG, although the pipe bore from the LPG tank to the boiler has to be big enough.

Gas boilers last far longer than oil boilers.

It now comes down to installation costs and the most important, the running costs. Oil boilers are generally more expensive to buy and there is the cost of the oil tanks and its security. LPG gas boilers are cheaper and the LPG tank is generally rented. Oil to buy was vastly cheaper than LP not long ago. You will have to do some research on this and what is available in your area.

Have you considered a ground sourced electric heat pump? Or better, a water sourced heat pump if a stream is on the property?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  15. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I run LPG and while mains gas would be my first choice, LPG is OK, the benefit of having gas in the property is that I can still have a gas hob etc. I think my gas is about 38p/L that gives about 6.6kwh. My tank is also buried, so no obvious signs.

I did look at pellet heating, but there were some drawbacks, particularly as has been mentioned, the storage and the absolute requirement to keep the moisture down. They also tend to take up a fair bit of room too, compared to a gas boiler.
    I've just replaced my **** vokera with a WB 440cdi, very happy with the water output, yes I would have had better flow from a tank, but no place to put it... and with the ability to switch off the store until I need it suits me and saves it boosting it during the night / day when it's not used.

16. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

The average for natural gas is around 4.5 to 5.5p per kWh. So that is not bad. What is oil on average per kWh these days?

The floor standing storage WB 440cdi has a decent flow rate indeed. It is well insulated so will not lose much heat. As you are not restricted by a gas meter and mains supply pipe did you consider using two LPG non-storage combis? Buying two can be cheaper than one large storage combi boiler with a deal for buying two. You can have one do upstairs heating and one downstairs. The DHW can be split amongst the two. The important running costs will be less. LPG condensing combis are essential to keep running costs down. Also having oversized radiators at 60C flow and 40C return and running the boiler at a lower temperature.

17. multijack

multijack Member

Thanks fellas.....

I knew there was a reason I didn't become a plumber , so much to think about :confused:

I'm leaning towards lpg now but if I fit a gas hob the Mrs will kill me , she spent a fortune on pans for the halogen hob we've got now :D ..... Seems from what has been said that lpg might be a more "reliable" system than oil, that and I had an oil fired aga once and that was always throwing the toys out the pram but I'd assumed the tech would have moved on a bit from 20 yrs ago.....

Off to have a rumage around for info on ground source now, hadn't thought about this as an option before as have always done in town properties or small detached places but the property we're after does have 3/4 acre paddock behind it so no problems with trenching for pipework.

Thanks again :)

18. cypher007

cypher007 New Member

woodchip, pellets, air source heat pump, or if you've got the land ground source. mmm RHI.

infact if you can get some solar pv goodness and a immersion diverter, youll have free hot water during the sunny days. I haven't needed the boiler on until the cold weather started.

ooh and get a wood stove, Burley do high efficiency ones, we use ours every night, the boiler gets used in the morning and for hot water during the winter.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  19. multijack

multijack Member

Woodchip and pellet burners have pretty much gone out the window owing to "humidity controlled bulk storage" and claimed reliability issues, dont need or want the hassle of storing 3 ton of pellets ;)

I've had woodburning / multifuel stoves for years and will have another for sure , it's always the first thing I do on buying a new house ..... clay line the chimney and fit burner :D

On the ground source front the RHI scheme is exceedingly tempting but the general concensus from what I've read on the web seems to be that ground source is best suited to "well insulated" properties owing to the relatively low running temps that achieve the good running costs, not sure how "well insulated" it's possible to make a detached granite farm house. We would probably be able to do underfloor heating for downstairs then have "oversize" rads for upstairs.... add to that the requirement for DHW and it appears from what I've read that ground source might struggle to achieve our demands ..... much more research still required I think :)

20. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

The best is water sourced heat pumps, then ground in a vertical bore, then ground in trenches and then air. Air are very iffy.