Which to use, paper or fibre (plasterboard joints) ?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Birchetts, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Birchetts

Birchetts New Member

Morning
    Have just plasterboarded a room and now need to fill corners and joints etc, this is my first time so am not sure whether as a diy'er it is better to use fibre jointing tape for joints and inner corners or to use paper tape, which would you recommend, also, for outer edges would you recommend metal or plastic bead?
    Many thanks

2. Birchetts

Birchetts New Member

And general straight joint filling Deleted member 11267, paper or fibre?
    By the way thanks for his.

3. You get paper tape for that too.
    Personally I hate tape and jointing and would always recommend getting plasterboard skimmed,which is a far superior job.
    Tape and jointing is used on most new builds so that they can throw them up quicker and cheaper.

4. Birchetts

Birchetts New Member

Ok this is the situation, I've plasterboarded the room with square edge board, my intention was to just fill the joints cover the screws sand it down and paint, do I have to get it skimmed as well before painting? ( as usual I seem to have screwed up here!!)

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You can still tape and joint it, but it'll take more work and effort on your part to sand and feather the filler out smoothly with minimal bumps.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I use fibre in corners. I sometimes use paper but it is much harder to use. You got to get the paper on just right or it won't stick or have lumps under and the tape will stand out. Also helps to dampen the paper tape but not to much.

7. You will have a lot of work feathering it out to try and make it half decent.
    You would be better getting it skimmed and have a far better job for the sake of a few hundred quid depending on the room size.

8. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Should of used tapered edged boards if you were going to tape and joint, but still do able scrim the joints and use Plastic beads external corners and metal reinforced tape on internals skim over really tight coat of easy fill first coat get really smooth, then apply 2nd coat straight over when dry but 6inches either side of joint or corner when dry sand with 80grit then apply 3rd coat and go another 4 inches past the 2nd coat and sand with 120 to finish befor painting you really need to seal with board sealer, all in all its a better job to plaster and way less dust!

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Unplastered boards are always more likely to show signs of damage after a while. Moving furniture, general wear and tear, knocks and scrapes, all likely to damage the paper face and require making good

Maybe ok in a 'show house' but a regular lived in house, add kids possibly, and skimming the boards is a better option I recon

10. Birchetts

Birchetts New Member

Thanks for the responses all.