Which White Gloss Paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by KIAB, Aug 2, 2016.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a lot of interior woodwork to paint,:( previously use the trade Dulux Diamond white,can't remember which one,as they had now changed tins, but other day spotted Crown Trade Fastflow gloss, a water base paint in decorator centre.
    Is the Crown any better, or stick to Dulux, or is their a better gloss for interior woodwork,prefer satin,but overruled by higher authority.:eek:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The Crown Fastflow Gloss is supposed to have a superior gloss than is normally expected from a waterbased paint also it flows out better therefore avoiding the brush marks usually associated with waterbased paints.......... so I am told? Have not used it myself yet but the reviews seem favourable.

3. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

A lot of gloss paint tends to go off white fairly quickly these days,something to do with them not being allowed to use a certain chemical in the paint.I have a fair bit to do soon and a painter told me to use one of the new water based glosses,apparently they don't fill the house with paint fumes,they dry quicker and they don't start to yellow in a couple of months.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Time to play catch up.....that was happening 5 years plus ago, new generation oil glosses now dry whiter over a couple of days as they cure.

philthespark likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::eek:

I'm not a painter, so out of touch with progress.:(

Any particular new generation oil gloss...:)

Reading about Crown Fastflow on Hamilton's site , they qoute the following, & recommend a 'brush comb' never used one of those, haven't even got one.:eek::(

•Wetting and spinning a synthetic brush to make sure that the paint does not dry in the stock. For usage over half an hour, a brush comb should be used and pulled through the filaments.

http://www.hamiltondecoratingtools.co.uk/news/crown-water-based-fastflow-gloss---the-lowdown/79

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Where is Astra, need pro advice.:D

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I use all kinds of gloss paint including waterbased but have not used the fastflow yet, although I am told that it is by far the best so far on the market so will be trying it out sometime. To be honest with you I was a great user of Crown Solo prior to 2010 VOC compliant paints when like other white paints turned primrose yellow within a matter of weeks, I went back to it about 8 months ago and have been well impressed with the brightness and no evidence of any yellowing as yet. I'm that confident that my hall, stairs & landing is being painted with Solo starting tomorrow.

I do wet my synthetic Purdys prior to use and also run a brush comb through the bristles, sounds daft but does make a difference.

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thanks.

Have never used a brush cleaning comb:oops:, will get one tomorrow, when I'm out.

Crown Solo or Fastflow:confused: that is the question.:D

One thing with Fastflow, it's dry in 1-2 hours & recoatable in 4-6 hours, compared to Crown Solo, touch dry in 6 hours. recoatable in 16 hours.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Give the Fastflow a go, I put two coats of Solo on, comes up like a mirror. MMmmmmm you are tempting me towards the Fastflow :eek:o_O......decisions, decisions..:rolleyes:.

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Solo,

Solo here, been on a couple of years now, still as white as the day it went on. :):):)

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Think it's going to be Fastflow, as I like the quick drying time, handy when painting overnight.:)

Astramax likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Just been given a free sample one of each (250ml) of primer undercoat and gloss.....verdict pending!;)

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Eagerly awaiting your opinion:)

Might poke my nose in the Crown paint shop & see if I can snaffle some free samples.:rolleyes:

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You paint through the night ?

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes.:):oops:

Preparation during the day, then paint when everyone a asleep,I know then my dust sheets are safe from being moved or tripped over, or idiots putting hands on wet paint.:)
    Painted lounge ceilings at 1am last year, it was nice & cool at that time, no daytime heatwave.:eek:

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Most people paint the town "red" at night!

KIAB likes this.
  17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

And slap it on all over!:eek::D:p

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Crown Fastflow 2.5ltr white gloss £21:30p inc vat at Crown decorator place. it's on offer for August.:eek:

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Worth the difference between other gloss paints ? Normally pay around that for 5l

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What is that brand Wilko or Poundland ?