Which wood is best to use when making garden furniture?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by NCCN, Aug 21, 2017.

1. NCCN

NCCN Member

Hi,

I am going to build a new garden table, and I'm wondering what is the best type of wood to use for this, and where is the best place to get it?(I live in Newcastle)
    The table will be permanently outside unsheltered, and I will use sadolin varnish to protect it.
    Thanks for any help!

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

TEAK ...

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, made a garden table 35 years ago in Teak, oiled it a few times over those years........disposed of it last year.

4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

5. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Accoya, my saw horses were made from accoya offcuts bout 4years ago and they live permanently outside still as solid as the day they were made.
    The timber rep at the time reckoned you could give a 10-15 year guarantee on untreated products items made with it

6. NCCN

NCCN Member

Thanks for the advice!

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

The only problem with accoya as a timber is it isn't very attractive. Grey discolourations, stains where the process has gripped the timber. Good for painting and a dark stain/treatment would overcome, but left natural its not so clever. Will certainly last though! I'm using it for windows I am making.