Whirlpool cooker hood

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Beardy, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Beardy

Beardy New Member

The Whirlpool (IKEA) cooker hood model HOO 522S blew a bulb and my wife reports a flash from deep within it. The fuse box tripped out so I replaced the bulb but nothing works. Fuse in plug is OK. From what I can see there are only 3 really important bits:

1 Circuit board
    2 Microswitch at back inside canopy
    3 Fan motor.

Is it worth getting spares for any of these and replacing them - or simply buy a new hood?

Whirlpool no longer seem to make extractor hoods so can anyone identify a straight replacement I can simply slot into the same space without moving ducting etc?

Finally - it's powered off a 13A socket via a plug. Is this legit?

All help gratefully received.

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The fuse in the plug is not okay. Change it and it should work. :)

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Did the plug have a 13amp fuse?  (should be 3 or 5)   If so it's likely that a section of pcb has been "blown away"!

4. J.P.

J.P. New Member

After the flash -  was there a smell of fish (fish vapours) in the immediate vicinity of the cooker hood Beardy?

5. Beardy

Beardy New Member

Thanks guys (and gals?)

Unphased; When the thing blew, the fuse was the first thing I checked. It was intact, but I replaced it. No luck.
    Seneca: See response to Unphased above. It was a 13A fuse, as in place when I bought the house, which points to the pcb as being shot. Get a replacement board or junk the whole thing?
    J.P.: Sorry, didn't quiz the kitchen staff on that.

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Probably won't find any spares, easier and quicker (often cheaper too) to get a new one.

7. J.P.

J.P. New Member

What's the circuit board in that hood Sen? surely its just L + N + E into a term block, and from there to motor and light obviously via switch/es on t'front of hood, but no electronic circuitry and stuff?

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No electronics as you say JP but many of them have a small pcb which the switch is attaced to, mains is fed to the pcb which has tracks leading to the switch connections.

9. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Oh right see what you mean Sen - definitely a weak point - but then again if people fit 13 Amp fuses instead of 3/5 Amp then in the event of a short then I can see the PCB tracks being the effective fusible link instead of the proper rated fuse Cheers Sen.

10. Beardy

Beardy New Member

With encouragement and confidence from you I have taken it apart and - YES! the circuit board is burnt out at 2 points where the L runs/tracks across it (Pardon the non-technical language), which corresponds to JP's diagnosis that the circuit board has acted as a fuse. Now all I have to do is see if I can get a spare.

Seneca is correct, the circuit board lies under the two switches, one turns lights on/off, the other controls fan on/off and 3 speeds.

Note to self: Check all fuses are of correct rating!

Thanks all.

Beardy

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Beardy, if you're any good with a soldering iron jou can bridge out the damaged tracks with wire links.  It's not difficult although it does come easier to me than some people being an ex t/v engineer, bridging out damaged pcb tracks was a very regular type of job in t/v servicing. That was when things were built to be repaired of course, before the throw-away age arrived!

12. J.P.

J.P. New Member

All sorted then -  have a good evening Beardy..:)

13. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Get yourself a soldering iron ;)

14. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I had a fizzed out track on my boiler PCB Lec - a quick deft soldering action cured the problem completely..saved what 80 or more sovs as I didn't have to buy a new PCB..:)

15. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Repaired some decorative EM lights the other week myself.

16. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Usualy starts as a dry joint JP, seen loads of that type of fault in electronic equipment. In boilers i've usualy found it's water leakage that causes it.

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

That's a wet dry joint sen.

18. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

You any good at simple electronic design seneca ?

19. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Never had much experience with design Lokks, fault finding and repair was my thing.

20. Had exactly this fault with a hood a few weeks back. And the same cause too - a 13A fuse fitted. What the 'ell goes on inside a bulb when it blows to cause such a surge?!

As Sen says, a very easy fix if you can use a soldering iron - I used a sleeved wire and connected it to the existing solder joints at each end of the damaged track, rather than try and solder to the remaining ends of the burnt (vapourised!) thin tracks themselves.

Clear out all the debris from the 'pop' - you'll likely find tiny molten beads in there - and also cut away the useless ends of the burnt tracks if they are loose from the PCB.

Beardy, if you can't do this yourself, I bet you know someone who can - ask around your mates and almost certainly there will be one who has a soldering iron and knows how to use it...

I bet a switch - if you can find one - will be silly money, whereas the repair is effectively zero cost.

Just make sure the fellow is competent - check the job afterwards and post a piccy on here if you can.