Whistling noise

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Alex Dudley, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Alex Dudley

Alex Dudley New Member

Just replaced the float valve in my water tank in the loft. Over-flow pipe no longer drips (success!) however, when something such as the shower is run, a high pitced whistling noise starts up seemingly originating from where the water supply comes into the house (near stopcock) and then carrys up the pipework into the loft.

Any ideas on how to resolve?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Try slightly reducing the incoming water pressure by closing the main water shutoff valve a smidgen outside your house.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just wondering, does the whistling stop if you run the hot tap for a minute at the same time as the shower?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

It should do as its a pressure issue causing the whistle

5. Mr. Handyandy

That's why I was wondering. Maybe his new float valve isn't quite shutting off tightly.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

It sounds like one of two things, either Mr handy andy is right and your ball valve is struggling to turn off (which is possible) or perhaps your stop cock entering the house has a loose jumper washer...if you can access it I'd replace your stop cock with a full bore lever valve...

7. Try the simple things first as said above - play with the incoming stopcock.

I suspect you have quite high water pressure, Alex?

Anyways, your mains stopcock shouldn't be fully open - it's always best to open it fully and then close it down a turn or so. It's less likely to seize this way. If you mains pressure is high, you can 'compensate' by turning it down a lot more. In fact, best to close it off lightly, and then open it up to the point where you are happy with the performance from your taps (and garden hose...) but it's not going crazy. Good chance that this will sort the issue.

Of course, turning down the stopcock doesn't theoretically affect the ultimate water pressure, only the 'flow'. Ie, when all your household taps are closed, the pressure on either side of the mains stopcock will be equal. But, if the stopcock is closed off a teeny bit, when you then open a tap, the slightly reduced flow through the stopcock will also reduce the water pressure on the house side. Until the taps are closed again.

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Its not necessarily high pressure that causes the whistle but usually a slight imbalance between hot and cold. Its most common on an un-vented system and is cured by adjusting the pressure limiting valve.

9. Alex Dudley

Alex Dudley New Member

Hi all. Thanks for your suggestions.

I have closed off slightly both the outside valve and the stopcock under the sink. Unfortunately the noise persists!!

10. Mr. Handyandy

Reason I said the tank valve might be not shutting tightly, think where the shower is fed from. More than likely the same mains pipe that feeds the tank, and possibly very near. When the shower is pulling, maybe drawing air from tank valve.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really