White speks on my painted fence.

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Rollie, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Rollie

Rollie New Member

I pre painted my pressure treated fence before I put it up about a month ago. It has two coats of Demi Dekk and looked great. Now it is covered on both sides the complete length of the fence in small white speks. It's not paint as my neighbors have nothing white that's been painted. Anyone seen this before and know what it is. Is it something inside the wood that's causing it? thanks for any replies.

2. Rollie

Rollie New Member

I've tried to upload a picture but keep getting an error.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Don't know what other people do, but I usually cut the picture, then paste into word then cut and paste into the message, seems to work, otherwise the picture is too big to upload.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use photobucket or similar.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If they're new fences could be the green preservative pressure treated which is having an effect with the paint.

forgotten the term now tannalith?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thanks Jit, that name I couldn't remember, need photo's to confirm, but the white specks I supect are saltings, sometimes you also get green specks, which I presume is copper salts, you get them on the surface of a boards,treated with Tannalith & Tannalith E, quite normal, can brush off, will disappear after some weathering of the boards.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  7. Rollie

Rollie New Member

Here is a cropped picture. Tried to brush of but just spreads as you can see on the last board to the right. Will it come back after another coat do you think.

Attached Files:

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Does it brush off, the way it's on the crossrail as vertical lines, don't look like salt deposits, they are usually random specks, this is on the surface of the brown finish, it hasn't come up from underneath the finish.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Was the tanalized timber newly treated or has it been around for a while as it is recommended the treated timber is left to weather for 6 months prior to any decorative finish being applied.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Maybe the neighbor got jealous of your new fencing, and splashed something silly on it

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Come again?

Davmac and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That stuff looks expensive :eek:

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Or didn't like the color.

B&Q have cuprionl x 2 2.5l tubs = £30

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Very comparable price to other opaque wood finishes Jit such as Bedec Barn Paint, Sadolin Superdec, Dulux Opaque Wood Finish etc!

15. Rollie

Rollie New Member

It was newly treated, as in, sitting about four weeks in my garage before being Painted. I didn't know it had to weather for six months.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Application remarks:

Coating on fire protected cladding may cause salt precipitation/flaking.

Doesn't mention anything about using it on pressure treated timber. Maybe an undercoat should have been used.

17. Rollie

Rollie New Member

Yes it is but I got a good deal on a few 10L tubs. It's usually £150 a tub. It has a life cycle of upto 12 years according to the manufacturer.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

This what you see with salting on pressure treated timber, can be just a few specks or sometimes a heavy covering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Rollie

Rollie New Member

No chance of that, I get on really well with my neighbors, and the photo is from my side, and it runs all the way up the fence on both sides. 22 metre.

20. Rollie

Rollie New Member

It's not that. If anything it looks like a segull has had diarrhoea The speks are flat and not bumpy or raised like the picture.