White speks on my painted fence.

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Rollie, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I reckon it's powdered paint/stain. Mixing hasn't occurred very well, putting spots of powder instead of paint, and now washed off.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

2. Rollie

Rollie New Member

I tried cuprinol on my front fence and It had to be painted after 2 years, I splashed out on a more expensive paint hoping it would last.

3. Rollie

Rollie New Member

The paint I use is pure white when you open the tub. I use an electric mixer to completely turn the paint to its brown colour, so it was well mixed before application. The paint Has been on since 24th April and It only turned white this week.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's what I said in earlier reply (8), possible it's come from further afield,a airborne deposit, some airborne contaminant.

EDIT: Been on since 24th April, I would rule out salt deposits then, sure they would have shown sooner, in a few days after treatment.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  5. Rollie

Rollie New Member

Thanks for the really quick response and help guys. I'm hoping another coat will solve it but it's really bugging me after spending all that time and effort painting and erecting the fence myself and it now looks like this.

6. Rollie

Rollie New Member

I would have thought that myself but my garage is 2 feet away from the fence and has the same paint but isn't touched at all.

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It is almost certainly a reaction between the paint and the wood treatment and unfortunately could continue to happen for years to come, I see it all the time on fencing.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The very hot weather of this last few days has drawn the tanalized moisture out to the surface.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Been reading up abit, it is most likely salts as I had thought, they can vary in appearence depending on the preservative used for pressure treatment of the timber.

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Def a reaction to the paint

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not a reaction to the paint as one is chemical and the other a waterbased product. o_O

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Def a reaction to the paint

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Explain why and the chemical process of this reaction?

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Have you got 24 hrs to spare?

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes the weekend has just started!:D

16. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Years ago I did some work on a barn, part of the work was cutting out an opening for a window, I made the the frame support for the window out of pressure treated 100 x 50 fencing wall plate, I then painted it in Timber Jack black barn paint, on the pressure treated section the paint never dried, even weeks later it was wet to the touch.

It turned out to be the Chromated Copper Arsenate in the wood treatment reacting with the paint, this is all so why you have white/green spots appearing on the timber, very common in fencing.

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The OP hasn't said the paint is not dry that is why I believe the white spots are salts drying out and erupting through the applied coating, crystalized salts are quite abrasive and sharp when dry. So basically not a reaction to the paint.