Who said I was paranoid?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by philthespark, Jun 29, 2016.

1. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

About 2 years ago I had a white volvo V70,the one's the police use,It was my pride and joy,a real tidy car even though it was a 1999 model.Anyway one day somebody rear ended it and it was wrote off,then I ended up with a Suzuki Swift,god it was awful to drive.I only had it a few months and hated it,but never had so much as a near miss! Anyway now I've got a Piccaso diesel and to be honest I love it,roomy,economical and I'm just getting it the way I want it,new radio,bluetooth,etc.
    Well,taking the wife to work this morning and I'm making a left turn,stopped in the road with my indicator on as a woman is crossing the road I'm turning in to.There's a sudden screech of brakes and I look in my mirror to see a 5 series BMW hurtling towards my rear! It swerved left and fortunately I was able to pull slighty to the right,it missed me by inches.
    Why oh why is it that whenever I get a car I like that some jerk has to try and destroy it? I prayed for someone to hit that horrid Suzuki,car claim and probably whiplash too,but oh no,I ended up stuck with it.Somebody up there obviously doesn't like me having a nice car.lol

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A lot to be said for having dash cams in vehicles today.

3. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

You would not want a bump in any car, but especially not in a Swift ! ...... or any Suzuki come to think of it ;)

4. philthespark

Got one to fit,think I need a rear one too.

5. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

The taxis in Sydney have 360 cameras on the roof & CCTV inside car. That's belt n braces for you PTS ;)

6. philthespark

I'm thinking of getting a rear one,I've seen one that records front and internal at the same time,proves what YOU were doing at the time of the accident.I'd also like to get hold of one of those boxes they fit in police cars,they record an impact and also what was being used at that time,e.g brakes,indicators,lights etc.

7. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

You need a tank mate :)

philthespark likes this.
  8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Especially mine, its a motorbike. :)

9. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Zacktly!! Oufffff:eek:

10. philthespark

I was on bikes for a few years drive round with the lights on and you still get idiots who nearly kill you then say, sorry I didn't see you.

11. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Love them, love the acceleration, freedom, winding roads..... etc. but as you say the number of plonkers who say "sorry mate I didn't see you" and the fact an old guy (87) who could barely stand (poor sod) took my mate clean off his bike, I've packed it in. Just bought an X5 40d m sport, its got the power, a shed more grip, loads of toys and vision, but its not a bike :mad:.
    Good luck bud;)

philthespark likes this.
  12. Chust been over to Eastbourne to pick up my sis-in-law's 'new' car - a one year old Suzuki Swift SZ4.

What a little beaut (er, I'm still talkin' about the car...). Set it all up - Sat Nav, DAB radio (BBC 6 Music...), auto lights, cruise control... and had a thoroughly enjoyable 250 mile drive home.

The Zook is a cracking car - far better choice that the U-S.

13. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Excuse my ignorance, what's a "U-S"

Its amazing what kit is standard on cars now. I remember auto-choke being a bit of a wow!

Should we start a -What was your first car- page ?

14. 'U-S' = usual suspects (cough, taken from the EU thread :oops:)

We checked out pretty much all the small cars in that range first - Fiesta, Kia, Hyundai, Nissan etc. The Zook really stood out - with style as much as anything. All the others were 'Euro-boxes' - you'd struggle to tell them apart in a car park.

15. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Enlightened ! ta.

Had allsorts going on - Utter Sh..e , Under Standard , United States etc.

IMO the one that has really slipped on the "style" front is Nissan, they are making some ugly bugs right now, excellent reliability, great drivers, but man, they is ugly.

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Used to ride a BMW, it certainly had lights and stripes - even then didn't stop people trying to take me out, one day it was my wife whom was following me to the garage.

17. philthespark

The funniest in an annoying way was once on the M56,I,d stopped on my way to a job to assist a motorist in trouble on the hard shoulder.I was in my Landrover,which was extremely visible (think police landrover) I had every light lit up and was helping the motorist when suddenly there was a loud screech of brakes,a guy was daydreaming and had drifted onto the shoulder! He stopped inches from the 'rover,I ran over to see what had happened, "sorry mate I didn't see you" was his reply, my response was mostly unprintable,except from the bit were I asked him if he needed glasses!
    here's a short clip of one of my vehicles.

18. Anybody crashed into your rear 'cos they were blinded? :p

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A friend was riding on his bike middle of summer, a nice warm day, shades on, thinking he was something out of CHIPS. From a side road came, as he put it an upper class twit (spelling) at speed just missing the front of his bike, causing him to serve but managed to avoid dropping it. Before he could get the lights the guy had pulled over and was out of the car running towards towards him.

Thinking it was some sort of emergency, my mate composed himself to give assistance - until the guy said "sorry I thought you were an ordinary biker !"

What followed was the longest vehicle and identity check ever .....the only thing that wasn't done was a cavity search ;)

20. philthespark

I was going home from work one night when I came across an rtc,a speeding motorist had taken out an old man crossing the road.The road was blocked and a young lad was getting all gobby insisting he was going through,a member of the public was trying to persuade him otherwise and he was having none of it,as an ex member of the emergency services I got out of my car and went over to the youth.I put on my best "official" voice and advised him if he carried on he'd be getting nicked,I closed the road and waited for the police to arrive,by the time they got on scene I had a diversion set up and a passing nurse was attending to the casualty.
    When it was all dealt with one of the traffic cops came over and started to photograph my equipment,apparently the warning lights I was using were the latest type and apparently these officers had requested some of these lights but the inspector had refused to authorise their purchase.He wanted the pictures to use as a lever to persuade his boss to buy them.I,m pretty well known around here for stopping at incidents,at one it was quite funny in a way,there was 2 off duty PC,s 2 off duty nurses and myself,at the time I was a member of the local fire services incident support team,the laugh was the victim lived a stones throw from the accident,however he had 4 large German Shepherd running free in his garden and nobody wanted to do the "knock" in the end they sent me because I had experience as a dog handler.lol