Who's responsible

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Chrisev, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Chrisev

Chrisev New Member

I commission a builder to erect a free standing garage and in excavating the foundation he takes out the mains electric cable. Who pays for the repair?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

He does, he should have full insurance to cover this sort of thing.

The only way he could come at you for the repair cost is if you stated that there were no services in the vicinity of the area being dug out, even then he should have checked with a CAT scan.

Astramax and KIAB like this.
  3. He should be able to claim it on his insurance I would have thought.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If he is insured...:rolleyes:

Astramax likes this.
  5. Chrisev

Chrisev New Member

He has Employers Liability Insurance is this what is needed?

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

7. Chrisev

Chrisev New Member

OK thanks. So
    what is the name of the insurance he should have?

8. Phil the Paver

It should come under his public liability insurance.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Would it be PLI or professional indemnity, just asking?

10. Phil the Paver

What mains cable has he hit, if its just your house supply you may be covered by your household insurance, they will then chase him for all costs, this will cost him many times more than if he put his hand in his pocket and paid for the repair directly.

11. Phil the Paver

It could be, but ain't these sort of things included in public liability insurance, i know mine covers damage to a third patries property, the excess is high though to dissuade from claiming for minor damages.

12. Chrisev

Chrisev New Member

The accident hasn,t happened. I am just trying to avoid a bad situation.

13. Phil the Paver

??????, I've got to say, its a strange question to ask then, seem you don't have much faith in your builders. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My PLI includes professional indemnity but it is a seperate clause.

15. Chrisev

Chrisev New Member

Life has taught me that if something can go wrong it probàbly will. Am I wrong to cover this possibility?

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Not wrong. You can always ask the potential builder to show proof of insurance before commencement.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. Phil the Paver

Not at all, but all service checks should be carried out long before any digging out commences, so there's no chance of accidents happening.

Having said that I took out an 11000 volt main cable in a garden centre once with a JCB, we had all services marked out by the relevant service providers, only the leccy board were 2 metres out in their marking out, guess who had to pay that bill, no not me.

18. Chrisev

Chrisev New Member

The builder seems perfect in every other respect. If I find he does not have PLI, I may need to insist on it. Can anyone give me a very approximate cost of this insurance cover?

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

£5 000 000 is about £150 for a chippie, groundworks may be more.

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds like your outlook on life is that your glass is half empty rather than half full!