Why does the multiwik on my toilet keep splitting

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Murphyg26, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Murphyg26

Murphyg26 New Member

I noticed a leak coming from the multiwik at the back of my toilet.  As it has only been newly fitted, around 6 months, I called the plumber back to have a look.  He took the multiwik off and it was cracked in three places. He replaced the multiwik and the next day it was still leaking, he came around again and took the multiwk off and it was cracked again. It is a pro plumb flexible pan connection.  He suggested it may be a fault with the pan and I have now had the pan replaced and a new multiwik fitted and again the next day it is leaking and it is cracked.

Can some explain why this is happening, can any recommend a different or better type of multiwik that is more sucure and stronger.  The toilet pan is a vogue tidy pan.

All help would be appreicated.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

very strange indeed, I've never had that or heard of that happening, I would suspect another element doing the damage, the long tailed type, but thats a wild guess,

3. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

I did have a simular problem with a flexible/extendable multikwick a couple of years ago.

It was almost fully extended to it's limit and kept' getting small slits in it (almost as if it was done on purpose with pointed sissors).

At the time I put it down to a rat biting holes in it!

After renewing the flexable connectors 3 or 4 times I eventully decided to re do it using solid soil pipe bends (be interesting if this is your problem 'cause it's the only time that I've ever come across it).
    It was one one of those extendable concetina type multikwicks.

Tappy,

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

get someone to sit on the pan, and look closely at the point of failure for any sign of movement - if the pan moves slightly every time there is some weight on it there may well be some movement in the coupling, which eventually with result in a crack

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Looking at this from a carpenters perspective, and having spent the last few weeks doing curved work. Seeing as the failure on this connector is almost instant as in overnight it doesnt sound to me that is is a problem with movement as suggested.

As you are seeing clear points of failure is it possible that the connector is being over extended during installation perhaps due to access problems. Also is it possible that there is a minimum radius that it can be curved to and shouldnt be exceeded. Both these might damage the flexible connector during installation.

Not an expert in plumbing at all just an alternative view.

6. Murphyg26

Murphyg26 New Member

Thank you for all your replies.  The part that is splitting is inside the top of the multiwik. The part that makes the suction to keep the multiwik in place.  I have now watched a number of videos on youtube and they have all done it the same way as my own plumber.  One however put silicone inside the top of the multiwik before he fitted it to the toilet.  I am just wondering would this work?

Any ideas or comments much appreciated

7. Crowsfoot

No, No, No, no silicone (a sure sign Bertie Bodgits been)

I can see the problem now the pans outlet is large and the multikwick is small, so the rubber in the multikwick is pushed off during instalation.

Fairly common thing to happen.

Here's what I do.
    Drop the multikwick into a bucket of very hot water and leave for 3 or 4 minutes, when you take it out it will have become more plyable so quickly push it on the pan (some "silicone grease"  would help).
    Normally proper multikwicks with the multikwick name on them don't have this problem, it's exclusive to the the other more ridged/cheaper makes of connector.

Good luck,
    Tappy,

8. Murphyg26

Murphyg26 New Member

Thanks Crowsfoot for your comments.  I am just wondering maybe as you say we are using a cheap model multiwic - I have found on line a model WC-F21R 4"/110mm flexible WC connector for a back to wall WC Pan.  It appears to have added security for the connection.  What does everyone think?

9. Crowsfoot

I've never seen one of those before Murph.

Normally I wouldn't go for a jublee clip idea around anything in plumbing - yet because it's out of sight and you cannot see if the connectors stayed on or not when fitting the WC.
    It would give you some peace of mind when fitting one of those back to the wall toilets.

So it gets a thumbs up from me.

Tappy,

10. brianthompson

brianthompson New Member

Hi I have had the same problem three time look very closely at your flexi I found teeth marks and rang pest control who said flexi connectors are prone to rat attacks which enter via sewers his advice was change the flexi and use solid plastic which I did and have had no trouble since .plumb centre were very helpful and supplied the various bends to do the job.