Why is VAT added when it says VAT free?

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Stonehedger, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Stonehedger

Stonehedger New Member

Hi all, I have been looking for some steel toe caps and I note that a number of boots on the selection lists say "Zero VAT" but when I go to pay for them the VAT is included. When I look on the site exluding VAT the price of the boots has the VAT taken off. Is it zero vat for all or yust trade?

Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Stonehedger

Stonehedger New Member

Thank you KIAB for your quick reply, and thanks for the link. What it does not differentiate between is that this footwear is available on the screwfix site the same as any other footwear, and has the same VAT added or taken away. Is the Zero VAT for Trade only, for VAT exempt, or for all?
    Many thanks again

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Retail or trade most saftey footwear is zero rated.
    I've bought steel cap boots from other places & never paid vat on them, also bought safety shoes that have been priced zero vat, when they shouldn't be.

Safety boots are VAT free, but safety shoes are not, a bit of a minefield I think.
    I don't know what screwfix's stance is with vat & safety footwear.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  5. Stonehedger

Stonehedger New Member

Thank you KIAB I think its one of those website anomolies that if you dont pay VAT on your purchases you get an added discount to Screwfix's detriment. Perhaps it should be looked into.
    Cheers

6. Stonehedger

Stonehedger New Member

Just as follow up, I have sent in a comment to the team from their feedback page.
    Thanks again for the help