Why isn't this compulsory on all saws.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Phil the Paver, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

2. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Should be made law.

3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I saw this on a dragons den type program years ago. Absolutely agree should be standard. Although not sure how it would work on damp wood.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That's your saw knackered.
    Perhaps putting a guard on the blade, using a riving knife which although used here isn't common in the USA or just learning how to use saws safely would be better.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

?????? Fingers, Saw, Fingers, Saw, Fingers every time.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you watch the vid the damage to the saw is about 60 to repair, that's is a small price to pay for your pinkies. :):)

6. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Well it's not on all saws because it's patented technology...

Bosch have come up with a similar concept but one that uses small gas cartridges instead. They are much cheaper to replace, and don't wreck the blade either (I don't think anyway) which looks like a batter system, and being Bosch seems more likely to make it to the UK.

It's difficult though, because although I know table saws can cause horrific injuries (it's one of my only tools I'm a bit scared of...) I don't really think laws that make it much more difficult to injure yourself are a great idea - the danger of my table saw keeps me far more cautious, attentive and focussed than if the accident potential was a lot less.On the flip side I do appreciate that a lot of people who do lose a thumb on a table saw are skilled operators who know what they are doing and often have decades of experience.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I have never had a nick from a table saw because I know it could take my fingers off and I concentrate, last year I virtually severed my thumb having a shower, I've lost 3 tendons in a car crash and have various scars from stupid accidents but you shouldn't feed your didgets into a table saw.

malkie129 likes this.
  8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Only thing I noticed in the video, is that he didn't actually shove his finger into the saw, which would be how it might happen in life. The way he did it, if it had failed, he would have just scratched his skin.

And no, I would not shove my finger in the saw no matter how confident of its ability to stop.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really