Why will people not check things.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, May 24, 2016.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I'm not talking about customers but other people in the trade. I work with someone and he will not check stuff is working at all. He will put a light fitting up and then walk out of the room and put the next one up without even flicking the switch, This time he has wired a hob up 250 miles away and not even bothered to try it out, just wired the isolator up and left the job, now the customer says the hob is not working.

I really cant believe it, it seems like lunacy in the extreme to me, why would anyone have such a stupid attitude to work? He would have been happy at the time though because he got away 5 seconds earlier from the job. If this turns out to be his fault I'm going to quit the industry, everyone is a dick head.

philthespark likes this.
  2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Yea pretty sloppy work. I reckon I'm pretty careful with my wiring but even I've found I've not connected the earth properly a couple of times on the dead tests.

madhatter1uk likes this.
  3. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Ah,that makes me feels so much better,and there was I thinking things like that only happened to me.I used to work for a firm that was full of clowns like that.We were paid point price and they all wanted to get done and get out.I was always getting sent back to sort out other people's mistakes and the boss never wanted to pay extra,some of the things were stupid,one lad wired an extra light into a rose and wired across live and switched live.This meant that the lower wattage fitting glowed constantly when the lights were switched off.I tackled the idiot who'd done it "oh,I thought it was meant to do that",really!in the end I refused to go back to any fault if it wasn't on a job of mine unless I got fifty quid,this was stopped out of the original installers wages.It soon stopped when they realised they couldn't just throw it in and walk away any more.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

On many occaisions seen plumbers do second fix work without putting any water through the system - leaking rads and toilets and on a new build when the owners moved in turned the water on, only to find water gushing out of a wall where someone had put a plasterboard screw through a pipe.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

When I worked for a shopfitting company, I got absolutely fed up of sorting out other shopfitters mistakes. Once I refused to go sort out some clowns mistake. My manager wasn't happy about it, saying this lad was far too busy to go and do it. I said "That's all fine then, what about the mistakes he's making on the job he's currently on?" " I suppose someone else will have to fix them too?" He thought it was saving the company money simply because I was a salaried member of staff, when in reality, it was costing them more with nights out and expenses.

6. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Why would anyone travel 250 miles to wire up a hob??!!

That about says it all for me...

Sorry if I've offended anyone.

7. peter palmer

Lack of work, 30 quid is 30 quid.

No not really, we go all over the Country for them modernising buildings of various uses. Usually new kitchens, upgrading the lighting etc.

It turned out to be a faulty hob, I think. The kitchen fitter who is still on site connected up the old hob (which was nearly new anyway) to the flex and it worked so problem solved hopefully, its just so annoying that we couldn't turn round and truthfully say "well it was working fine when we left site".

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I was trying to work that one out too Stateit ! :confused:

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Some people/subs just don't think...and of course it's whoever/me is running the job to take the flack. I can appreciate that a lot of trades are busy and are workin long hours to fit work in etc etc, but when things quieten down,m and there is less work about, I know who I won't be calling to come and do work!

10. peter palmer

This gets stranger by the minute, the bloke that is still on site as said connected up the old hob and it worked yet today got delivery of a replacement hob which doesn't work either.

The hobs come with a 5 core flex already attached, the black and brown are the two lives and the blue and grey are the neutrals. The kitchen fitter has disconnected the flex at the hob end somehow to swap them over, however he says if brown is in L1 and black in L2 then it doesn't work but if Black is put in L1 and brown to L2 it does work.

I have been sent a picture of the back of the isolator switch and brown/black are in the live terminal and blue/grey are in the neutral one, along with another flex that does the oven which works OK. It cant be possible that switching over the 2 conductors makes any difference, they are in the same terminal, unless either the flex is faulty (unlikely) or the terminal screw hasn't caught the 2 cables, however the lad that fitted the hob says he cut the ferrules off the end and twisted the flexes together.

I wired the other hobs up the same way in other apartments and they all work fine, the hobs are made by Lamona which is just about the worst make of kitchen appliances I have ever come across. The ferules are pathetic on the end of the cable so you are best cutting them off and twisting the two ends together. I would much prefer to use a thicker flex and put links in the hob instead. I dont even know why they use multi connections on hobs anyway, they never do with ovens.