Why you should always take a deposit

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Paul Otter, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

I quoted for a job last November to build a bespoke wardrobe in MDF for just under £700.00.

I always ask for a deposit of 50% which was paid and a fitting date was agreed, my small print does say that I will do my best to adhere to agreed dates but I may have to change them due to unforseen circumstances.

I had to delay for a week but agreed to fit yesterday, the customer changed his mind and asked me to go today, by 8.20 and stuck in traffic I emailed him to say that I was running late "no problem he said, see you soon". I got to the job at 10.15 due to traffic, loading up etc.

There was no one in, no answer at the door at all so all I could do was put a note through the door and leave.

I now have an email from the customer saying that he had to go out for an hour, was back by 11.00 and had decide to cancel the job and get someone else in, he has also asked for his deposit back.

I have mailed him telling him no chance re the deposit and given him 14 days to pay the full contract ammount before I seek litigation (what can I do with a bespoke wardrobe??).

Any thoughts?

mr moose likes this.
  2. You've built this wardrobe?! It's not a build in situ?

In which case, yep - screw him for the lot.

Keep us posted :)

3. When he's finally forced to cough up, don't make an appointment - chust go round and attach the wardrobe to the front of his house like a porch, so he needs to exit it every time he leaves the house.

That should focus his mind...

4. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

Yes, I build everything in the workshop for later fitting, its quicker with less dust. I have just heard back from him, he has spoken to his solisitor who told him that he would lose his deposit and have to fight in court not to have to pay me the rest. He has now asked me to return to fit the wardrobe, he is not happy and is a semi famous establishment figure who should know better. So it goes to show always take a deposit.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Make sure you photograph it all once fitted. Door fit, no scratches or marks visible, fittings, joints &c that way you have your proof it was installed and left in perfect condition.

Astramax likes this.
  6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

A semi famous establishment figure who thinks he can shove and bully people no doubt. Hopefully you get a reasonable outcome i.e. do the job and get paid the remainder (or is that remoaner). Otherwise you'll break it up and exit...get it :D

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would get the balance as you walk through the door and record your installation and the state it was left in when you left.

I would also draw up a customer acceptance form

Astramax likes this.
  8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Snap

9. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

just take loads and loads of pictures. what you need is to build evidence to take him to court if he does not pay the balance. having the evidence trail together before he fails to pay is much easier than trying to build it later

10. Working for a 'not happy' customer? Man, that sucks... :(

Still, you are the pro here, and are doing everything by the book. Keep your professional chin up, smile where needed, and make that person feel as small as he is.

Good luck.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Just watch the buffoon doesn't look to mess you around out of spite, in his mind he's lost £350 rather than £700 so far and he doesn't want you to complete the job, he may try to give you the run around and try to turn the situation on you to make you look bad. Perhaps call in a favour off a tradesman friend and have them there with you as a fetcher and carrier, but in reality as a witness. Be careful, best of luck and let us know how it goes.

12. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep I wouldn't work for Jimmy Krankie either. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

13. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

If the deposit is enough to cover the costs so far, I would leave it at that and walk away.
    Some of these 'posh' folk are right weird. It can become even more so when you continue with them.

14. Probably a bit late, but I think I would suggest that too.

15. That would be tempting all right. But I fear that - since the customer has now accepted the need to complete the agreed contract - that Paul is pretty much obliged to proceed too.

I think the guy could legitimately counter-sue Paul for the deposit if Paul chust walked away with it.

One wee concern - Paul seems to know what the guy's solicitor told his client - I wonder how Paul got that info? Did the customer simply volunteer all this info to Paul? That would seem strange - it's like admitting you were in the wrong and haven't a case!

I hope that the customer isn't trying to pull a fast one; "Boo-hoo! My solicitor tells me I don't have a case! And that you could also sue me for the whole amount! So, soz and please come back and finish the job!" (I promise I'm not fibbing and will actually refuse to hand over the balance on completion...)

KIAB likes this.

16. Yes, I see all those issues.

Not getting paid at the end would hurt the most.

Being sued for the return of deposit wouldnt be nice or quick, but would make the customer sweat and struggle, especially if Paul relents after receiving a letter and agrees to fit after all. But dodgy ground and not worth the risk maybe.

Definitely call in a favour and have somebody with me while fitting it. Lots of photos, during and after installation. Obviously to record the type of work to show other prospective customers.

Payment on completion, or when the customer is happy? I can see the issue arising.

Tread carefully. Get a signed acceptance of work , and a written method of how to report any issues or problems, that may affect payment etc.

And can you use the clause of items belong to you until paid for in full etc?

17. Yep. I hope Paul has more than a verbal "Ok, go ahead..." from the guy?

If the customer accepted the go-ahead by email or text, then Paul should be safe.

Well, he should be safe in any event. But if he had evidence of the go-ahead from the guy after the earlier issues, then he should be on fully solid ground.

18. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I suppose it depends on how far it has escalated at this stage. But having the email from the customer saying he wishes to terminate the contract, I would elect at that point to settle up. For me that would be the best opportunity to dispense with a poor customer and prevent any further aggro.

19. Yep, but the customer wanted to terminate the contract - and get his deposit back!

A non-starter.

Now that he's effectively 'given in', I do hope Paul has physical proof that the guy has now agreed "Ok - do it".

btiw likes this.
  20. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

The solicitor clarified that aspect for the customer, so he would have to accept it. So the decision to proceed is actually in Paul's hands at that point.