Win 7 - cannot log in after update.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Imagine if you couldn't log out after update...

2. Y'mean I'd have to stay on this forum forever?

Not like now... :rolleyes:

Thanks all.

I checked my updates, and found that the troublesome one wasn't there amongst the 'installed' ones - which made sense as the PC had successfully restored back a month. I was chust about to shut the PC offski after all this malarkey when I noticed the 'shut down' button had the update 'shield' on it... Guess what would have happened if I'd clicked to shut down? :mad:.

So's I went into the list of waiting updates - about 17 of the bar stewards - and unclicked the one that has been accused. I then installed the rest...

I wonder what it'll be like when I next boot up :rolleyes:

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Think mines now downloading the " Fall Update" for Win 10. (or could that be the Fail Update??) I bloody well hope Microsoft have got this one right (although I do have a Win7 comp on standby,,, (just in case) ;);)

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

You would most likely be AOK - according to the blogs MS have issued a new version today that replaces the one causing the grief.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My PC was doing something strange a couple of days ago so I turned it off, good to know what the problem was, I'll turn it on again now.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Been two weeks since I dated the 5th pc here from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
    And Windows 10 is behaving itself very well, no blue screens of death, running very smoothly, still meddling & tweaking settings to my liking.

8. joinerjohn1

I'm not liking the new browser "Edge " from Microsoft, at the moment. I find it runs very slow compared to Chrome or even IE. Apparently it's to be fixed with the new update (downloaded at the moment and now preparing to install 90% done) We'll see.

9. I updated my Win 8 PC (this one) to 10, and all is well.

The other Win 7 PC has a built-in TV tuner so the loss of Media Centre would have been a major pain - so that's why I stayed with 7.

Now, why would MS get rid of such a good media player? Twits.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never used Media Centre, so I don't miss it,always other better options like Plex, Kodi & others.

Just installed the update & all is well.

Need to download 'Rainbow Folders' add on, so I can have various coloured folders again, makes things easy being colour coded.:)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  11. joinerjohn1

Now installed the Fall Update. Edge still runs slow (although I have scanned my computer with Advance Care 8 and it's a bit faster now, but AC8 does clean junk files etc, from the computer.

12. What this episode made me realise is that I don't have a Win 7 back-up disc.

It's a valid install - code is on t'side - so is it a simple task to make this disc?

Ta muchly again.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easy job.:)

Plenty of guides on google, I have back up discs, plus I have copy saved to a external hard drive.

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Recovery-Disc-in-Windows-7

14. Cheers.

Who needs Google.

When you have KIAB... :p

15. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

It's a registry key.

Hit Start> type 'Run'> Type 'Regedit' and hit enter.

It's in there.

16. Cheers, Para. I did get that far - I found 'Hive' under the file menu after 'regedit' - but couldn't locate (didn't know where or how to) the Hkey_Local_ malarkey.

Anyhoo, it's all sorted and good.

KIAB likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can do more harm than good playing around with Hives, if your not confident.

18. I've heard bad things about hives... :oops:

(What does 'Hives' actually mean in the PC world?)

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

20. Ah! A logical group of keys?

Why didn't you say so... :rolleyes: