Window Coating Problem Peeling Off too Easy

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Acapris, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Acapris

Acapris Member

Hi,

We just had some new windows fitted and
    noticed the white coating around the inside
    parts you can see when you open the windows
    is peeling off from the aluminium metal
    underneath.

Could this be a manufacturing fault with the
    windows or is this usual ?

Please see photo - the peeling starts where
    screws are fitted but the rest of the coating
    is just coming off very easy around the screws.

Attached Files:

2. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

I would say that this is usual, if you drive the screw in and squash the frame allowing the coating to crack and break away. Call them back.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Are the windows aluminium or plastic frames?

Or are they reinforced UPVC steel?

4. Acapris

Acapris Member

Thank you for the replies.

They are powder coated aluminium windows,
    but I would have thought the coating would be
    tightly bonded to the metal to stop it peeling.
    This makes me wonder if there is a manufacturing
    issue with the windows.

Also would they need to remove the windows to
    re-coat them or can they fix this on site?

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have just had some aluminum widows fitted, so can understand your concern, especially when the frames are over twice the price of UPVC ones. Are these the Smarts 47 range?

The screw fixing which has been used is not in the correct portion of the frame, the screw should have been fixed at the location as shown in the diagram below, this section of the frame is I believe the polymaide break barrier, which is plastic.

the inside reveals could have been cut back more if there wasn't room for this. How far are the frames sitting back from the face of the brickwork?

Presentation1.jpg

Biffo likes this.
  6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Peeling powered coat or not, that screw is a complete bodge / mess.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

As mentioned above the fixing holes have been drilled in the polymaide thermal break barrier, and should have been drilled in the aluminum frame section. These look like standard direct fixed framed windows.

Can you show a picture of the outside of the window, just curious what they look like.

I doubt that the windows will be sent back to the manufacture to be re-coated, as this is very expensive and takes time. The only solution would to buy a tin of paint to mach the color, is it RAL kL900 gloss white finish? and are the frames dual RAL, i.e. 2 different colours; inside and out or same throughout i.e single RAL.

Who was it that fitted the frames, was it a national co or local co? - the current fixing shows that the installer's are not familiar with aluminum frames.

Margins for aluminum windows are very slim, did you pay a deposit?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  8. Acapris

Acapris Member

Thank you very much for the replies.

This is way beyond my knowledge of windows
    so the installers will be coming back - well
    I have requested they do and if they want
    the rest of their money I am sure to see them
    soon. Its only a small local company who fitted
    them but would expect them to do a proper
    job regardless with such expensive frames.

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I know nothing about window fitting, but that is a complete bodge. The screw is not even driven straight. I may be advised differently, but as an engineer, holes in aluminium need to be pre-drilled & cannot be screwed through, as with plastic. Certainly don't pay any more money !!!!

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Looking at the screw head and how far out it protrudes, I'm surprised the window doesn't catch it when you close it.

All in all its a mess that shouldn't be left like that.

11. Acapris

Acapris Member

Hi Phil, thanks for that, I will bring it to their attention.
    I really was not expecting any of this.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Generally if the window company is small, the winnows are more than likely ordered from an aluminum manufacture. The standard RAl colour is
    White KL9010 Gloss/Matt, if other colours are chosen these incur an extra charge and take longer to manufacture.

It would be a good idea to find out who the manufacture is, or alternatively post a picture of the window and I will try and locate the manufacturer.

There is a lot to think about when ordering aluminum windows, which are available in many different styles and variations, for instance the frame, sash, beading, internally and externally glazed, colour of spacer bar (in glass), colour of gaskets, both inside and outside, the option to install drainage holes, which can be flush (capped and uncapped) or concealed, the depth of the window ciil, add-ons.

Also now that the windows have been installed, examine each of the these according to the specs, check if the glass where specified are toughened, any bedrooms which have fire escape have the fire egress hinges, does the window stay open when fully open? or does it drop down, cill end caps, have these been fitted,

13. Acapris

Acapris Member

Thank you for your advise Jitender.

Oddly there was no discussion on these options you
    mention and beading was installed without asking which
    we were not entirely happy about, is this normal?
    There were gaps left behind where they had removed
    the old windows but he would not fill these and just
    put beading over them. I will try and check some
    of the other points you mentioned.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

http://www.duration.co.uk/Smarts47AluminiumWindows-3DConfigurator.asp

Try this website, my windows were made by this co. There is a 3D visuliaser, which shows the completed window. this is for the Smarts 47 Altherim range, there are also some by ALUK.

would have been godd if the co went through the options, but they may be worried that you may go direct and buy them directly, avoiding the middle man. By the looks of things it seems that the co don't tend to fit aluminum frames very often.

15. Biffo

Biffo Member

they have fixed through the thermal break , cowboys i cant see why the thermal break has been coated if this is a standard white this is a stock item

i use many colours and the thermal break is never coated looks proper mess

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Agree - if the frames are white, then they should have used white thermal break, not black, and then sprayed white.

17. Acapris

Acapris Member

Hi,

Thank you both for your replies.

The company have offered to re-spray the 'thermal
    breaks' , but can I ask they replace the black ones
    for white thermal breaks? is it a difficult job?
    The paint does not look like it sticks at all well to
    the plastic.

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How is the company intending to respray. I think this is a pointless exercise as the paint will only peel orf again in the near future.

the break is part of the frame construction and to replace these will require the frames to be removed.

their purpose is to form 'break' between the inner and outer frame sections, hence reducing thermal losses.

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not sure if the breaks can be replaced now, only the manufacturer can knoq.