Window leak - advice needed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Matt Wilson, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

Hello all,

I've had this issue since I've moved into the house (about 18 months) ago but with the amount of rain the last two days Its caused me issues and I'm getting water all over the counters on the inside.

anyway, on the side of my house the kitchen was extended before we moved in so its a single story with a flat roof. The issue is the water runs down the wall to the top of the upvc window frame then runs through there onto the inside of the house. there is no concrete lintel. I havent got a photo but i found one that looks like the same setup as mine, apart from mine is a single window..

Also i guess its worth pointing out I can see a thin metal strip that sits between the window frame and brick, this is where the water seems to get in.

I'll try and get a photo when im back home this evening but does anyone recommend who i need to see? a window fitter or a builder?

any advice would be great as im no expert. I dont know if i just need to chaulk over the metal strip?

ill get a photo shortly.

Attached Files:

2. Hopefully building experts will come on to help you here.

I suspect, tho', that the metal strip you see is a lintel, a special type with has a flat plate (that's the front edge of it you are seeing) on top of the window frame on to which the bricks above the window are supported.

Also, that lintel is designed to direct any water that lands on it (eg from the cavity or bricks above) out the front over that metal edge you are seeing. So don't seal it!

If, however, there is a gap between the actual plastic window frame and the underside of that lintel, then - yes - that should (I believe) be sealed, or else the expelled water could trickle in there and on to your frame inside.

Anyways, I'm sure others on here will guide you better.

(Look up 'Catnic' lintel to get an idea of what I HOPE is there above your window. If there really isn't a lintel, you have much bigger issues than water ingress...)

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pointing above window about 4 courses is poor,it will let water get inside, needs raking out & repointing.
    The thin metal strip you can see is the lip of a metal lintel.

I wait until further photo's are available, before adding anny more.

4. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

Hi Devil, I have photos now.
    1 is the inside and three of the exterior

Attached Files:

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

One sure way to tell if there no lintel, is difficulty opening windows, slight sagging of upcv window frame or cracks in it.

6. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

Hi KIAB, the pointing seems fine to me as the water runs down to the window then goes in.

7. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

there probably is a lintel, i just thought it would be visible form the outside like the others around the house?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Been a problem for a long time, looking at the rust on lintel.

I referring to pointing first photo.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The other windows shown are further set back in the brickwork.

Does the lintel overhang the upvc window frame?

Ideally there should have been a cavity tray fitted or a dpc and weep vents at 450mm spacings to allow water to expel. Is the house a cavity wall construction?

The pointing as mentioned isn't terribly good, looks like it hasn't been done properly by grinding out to the required depth, just covered over.

Hopefully the fitters haven't drilled the frame in the top section, as this could lead to water ingress.

If there wasn't a lintel you would no about it, especially with a upvc window frame, also the style of window omitting a stile section would provide lesser support.

10. Blimey, it does look rusty! How the heck would that happen - surely they were galvanised?

Matt, I'm guessing (assuming that is a proper lintel) that water is getting in between the metal strip and the plastic window frame, or else between the brisk wall and the window frame.

Mind you, with that strip being so rusty, I wonder if some twit just placed a flat metal strip there (not a lintel) thinking he only had two rows of bricks to 'support'...?

Matt, you need a general builder to have a look, I'd say. If that 'lintel' is really as rusty as it looks, something has gorn wrong.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That single window with rusty lintel is a roof problem, as water is running down wall from behind the soffit, gutter not blocked?
    Your I reckon your going to need that lintel replaced over single window in my opinion, without more detail inspection it's difficult to fully from a photo.

12. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

gutter isnt blocked as ive been up there but its not functioning properly as water seems to get down between the guttering and the wall so then it runs down and then water gets in.
    i was thinking of fixing this issue first then addressing the guttering and roof.

So is a builder recommended? do you think it looks like a big job and the bricks with have to come out?

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You need to sort roof & gutter first, as this is the cause of the water ingress.
    Easy job to remove 2 courses & replace lintel on the small window, as to the big window, repointing is a simple job, but there might other issues as well,which we can't see from a photo, if lintel as been incorrectly fitted, then it a lot more work, without closer inspection, you just can't tell, time to get a builder in.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    FatHands likes this.
  14. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

sorry the photo in the first post was just a random example on google to show how the bricks etc were laid on my window. it was before i got my pictures sent through from my partner at home so its just the one window.

as the for guttering im not sure what i can do. its all fairly new stuff so it must have been incorrectly fitted when it was put in. the flat roof above ive lined up the edge that hangs off the side into the guttering so it should run straight into so im not sure where the water is getting through

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hetic here, missed that one sentence.:oops::oops:

Flat roof felt?
    Water is either running off roof & pass gutter, or it's getting through roof covering & finding it's way through

Need a photo of edge of flat roof & gutter above the window.

16. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

Ill have to do that at home this evening as my partner wont be able to get up there. the flat roof felt is coming upto almost ten years old but to be honest its only this edge of the roof where we are having issues.

Worried about committing to a new roof to then still have the same problem. as for an expert to come in and look at it, who do i need? a builder or roofer?

17. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

Kiab, i will get a photo of the edge of the roof and guttering this evening. I suspect its getting in through the covering from what you said. sorry for the confusion with the earlier photo.
    Ill be in touch later

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Usually first place were felt goes is a edge, 10 years isn't too bad, I hate felt for flat roofs, had felt flat roof here,started leaking had them replaced with glassfibre 6 years ago, best thing I ever did.

Only one other issue I see is the roof decking, & whether it's rotted, as that lintel is so rusty, it's been a long time problem that leak.

19. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

Within the kitchen and along the other edges of the roof i can see no issue or signs of water or water damage. Would you expect to see the signs elsewhere if its been a long time issue?

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not always, water can take some funny routes.