Window leak - advice needed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Matt Wilson, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As KIAB, point of exit can be quite a distance from point of entry, I remember chasing a leak in a factory once, water was coming through a damaged felt roof and tracking along steelwork for around 20 metres before heading in.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You might find that water is getting through the felt & running down on to the lintel, hence why it's rusty & there is enough fall on it, for it to run away from internal walls, ceiling, therefore no tale tale signs of internal damp patches.

3. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

Im on the roof now. So as you can see the edge of the felt goes direct into the gutter with a piece of plasitc sat in there to help direct it.

but looking at where it curves over its cracked and im guessing this is my problem? also a section above the window has been ripped and can be lifted so this wouldn't help either? another shot of the wood underneath.

the first photo the ripper section, about a foot long
    2nd same
    3rd crack in edge of felt as it goes over to the drop
    4th gap between wall and guttering with felt lifted
    5th wood underneath
    6 & 7 just shots stood up looking down at section

Attached Files:

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well,looking that felt, photo 3 it's had it, photo 5 wood looks wet, so I wonder what condition is the decking is in.
    Ideally I would be looking to replace the the lintel over the widow, as it's only going to get worse, & in time rust stains most likely on brick work, maybe internally as well.

You could go again with felt, which will need replacing in around 10 years or so, or go high tech with something like glass fibre, there no seams, should last well over 30 years, & Topseal is the only GRP system to be BBA Approved.

http://www.ribaproductselector.com/...s-product-guide/12946/col916314/download.aspx

http://www.topseal.co.uk/

Here a firm fairly close to me, they didn't do my bay window roof, or workshop roof though,I have had glass fibre down six year now, very satisify with it

http://www.stroudfibreglassroofing.com/home.aspx

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Matt Wilson likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The cost for a fibreglass roof is higher, but this is offset by it's life span, & it's much harder wearing than felt & 100% seamless, so no leaking joints.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Looks like the problem is solved. The roof is leaking and the lintel drain-off can't cope.

Looks like the water is getting in behind the fascia, into the soffit area, running back to the wall on the soffit board and down the wall. Lots of it when it rains heavy. And if the soffit board actually sits on the top of the wall, even worse. Bad soffit fitting. Should always ensure a slight fall outwards for soffits for exactly this reason.

Sort the roof, you will have no more problems.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Matt Wilson likes this.
  7. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

Hello all,

Thank you for all your advice. This forum is pretty neat and I'll be sharing it with my dad as he enjoys a screwfix mag :)

I've been in touch with a roofer and he's coming to look at it this week. We're going to go for the fiberglass fitting as it makes the most sense.
    I just hope the damaged already caused to the wood, soffit and walls isnt too bad.

I guess if the wood under the roof is damaged the roofer will be able to replace this.

8. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

just to add, ill get the lintel replaced after the roof is done. From a previous post i guess this is a job for a builder.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Do the lintel before you have the roof replaced, it's very simple job,a lot easier, your roofer could probably do it.
    You can cut back the decking to get better access if need be, something you can't do after it's been glass fibred.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Matt Wilson likes this.
  10. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

OK ill ask him, thanks