Window sill replacement

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Blueboyg, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Blueboyg

Blueboyg New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I need to replace broken external window sills around my house, the existing ones are 750mm thick concrete ones, I have been looking at the UPVC ones but they are only around 20mm thick so wouldn't do.

Any suggestions guys?

image.jpg image.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can buy pre cast concrete window sills & precast stone off the shelf from some builder merchants.

http://killeshalprecast.co.uk/building-components/precast-concrete-window-sills/

Usually it's not too difficult to replace one, does help if you have mate to help with lifting them into place, especially the longer ones.

You can even cast your own in place,make up a timber mould and cast a new one, fix either a piece of half round dowel or sash cord to create the drip in base of mould.
    But, I would say it's easier going for ready made precast.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    FatHands likes this.
  3. Blueboyg

Blueboyg New Member

Yeh I had a look at them, pretty expensive but would be probably be the right thing I need, only thing is they supply them in two pieces or charge a fortune for delivery of one piece sills, would it be easy enough to remove the old ones and fit the new ones, there seems to be quite a lot of room under the window if I cut the silicone away?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Whether they supply them in two pieces or one depends where you get them, I've had them 6' length in one piece, darn awkward manhandling them though even with help.

5. Blueboyg

Blueboyg New Member

Ok, many thanks for the information, I will look at the local builders merchants also, if not I can go online.
    Thanks Again,
    G

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

To keep costs down could you not cut something like these to size.

s-l1000.jpg

Would get the required slope for rain fall and a lot easier to handle.

7. Blueboyg

Blueboyg New Member

That looks good, where can I get that type of sill ?
    Thank you,
    G

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Any builders merchant, various widths.

But, there is no rebar in them, probably too thin, 60mm down to 40mm, usually only available in short lengths 600mm & sloping over the whole width, so no rebate ( look at the profile of a window cill).

[​IMG]

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Granted not as good/strong as a purpose made sill, but at around £7.00ea for a 600mm length good value for money, I'm not sure rebar is totally necessary in a cill and if fact without one you wouldn't have the problem the OP has where the rebar has rusted and blown the concrete, the slope on the coping isn't that great so I feel that the small gap under the front edge of the window could just be mastic filled.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have used once weathered copings myself for window cills, easy to grind a flat on back edge.