Window trim internal

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Sj1282, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Sj1282

Sj1282 New Member

Hi there does anyone know how I can tidy up around a rosewood upvc window internally? There are unsightly gaps and cracks between the window and walls/window sill. I'll try and upload a pic. TIA

2. Sj1282

Sj1282 New Member

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Get some plastic beads to match from local plastic center. It really cheap. £7 ish. They will have some damages bits for you to bring home for a colour match if you ask. Make good with filler and paint around window first. Then fit some brown beads with brown silicone. Crack will come back but not be seen

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I personally wouldn't use trims or plastic beads, they always look a bodge in my opinion as they're obviously hiding something, otherwise they wouldn't be there. As you've already got paint over the window edges the best option I would say is to just run a bead of matching brown silicone around the window and tool it neatly.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Could rake out. Fill, sand then put some lining paper around inside the window reveal to hide any further cracks. I don't know how skilled you are? I have done quite a few myself. The best way is to rake out cracks. Fill around window with some expanding foam as this makes the window solid. Fill cracks. Put a fiber tape up close to window frame. Plaster Skim all the way around. Jobs a good un. Hardest part is the expanding foam as sticks to what ever it touches and you can get in trouble with that if not careful. That's why I said bead it as safe cheap diy soliton

6. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

As the paint has gone over your painted badly before.

I would get frog tape and go over the window a couple of mm covering the splattered effect. Then caulk over the frog tape with clear or white caulk. Then tool with finger smearing caulk over tape. Then fill and sand reveal. Should then get a nice finish.

Trim can also look nice what above said fitted properly just looks like part of the window

7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Quite like the fibre tape idea as bringing the plaster out and feathering it off. That seems like a good idea constantly see this.

As you can see by previous job best to get some tape on unless you have experience cutting in and caulking.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This stuff seems to get good reviews, may even use it for my own windows. :)

9. Tony C

Tony C New Member

Excuse me but that isn't Rosewood it's a laminate, Rosewood has natural grain like any timber, not perfect lines. And why bother with that, the crack in the wall further up seems to raise more flags regarding structural movement. Forget fillers, get a structural engineer to check it out, that wall is / or did move away from the original causing cracks.

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I think the photos on its side mate, the right hand side is actually the sill and bottom of the window, engineers a bit overkill, the cracks are there from the window either being replaced very neatly(which I doubt) or just caulk shrinking back over time, as the windows don't look a brand new fit.

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Structural engineer is a bit OTT Tony!
    Just hairline cracks...don't frighten the OP :)

12. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

its a upvc window mate, and definitely don't need a structural engineer to tell you to caulk or silicone and touch up paint work

13. Tony C

Tony C New Member

Hands up, it's true. picture I saw looked like a crack up the corner of a room. Did the full picture which showed true angle, now I see a window fitting with minor touch up job needed.

CGN likes this.
  14. Tony C

Tony C New Member

Would like to know when the cracks appeared though. Just saying :) :) :).