Windows 10

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Aug 7, 2015.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Pukka OS and smooth. Just recently loaded it as an upgrade from 8-1 - all good. Microsoft's best OS yet for the general punter.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

After 8 anything would be good.

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Just trying 10 at the moment, bit of a fiddle to get the display and sound driver working correctly.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmmmm that's unusual with any type of display Peter. What make of monitor or TV are you using?

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Never really was erked using 8/8-1 chips. Didn't like the boot up first screen much, as you had to click to go into normal desktop - but I wouldn't class it as a major erk.

6. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

I bought a laptop with win8.

Turns out the 8 in windows 8 is an indication od how many days it will take you to make it work like windows XP.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I never bothered with Windows 8 or 8.1, stayed with Window 7 64 bit.
    Have just upgraded 2 laptops & 2 desktop to Windows 10 from Windows 7, what I've seen is good & it's pretty slick.
    Some neat new features like multiple virtual desktops, fingerprint support, & phone companion actually supports Android:eek:.
    Going to give it a few days to find my way around it, but it's certianly an improvement over Windows 7 & that wasn't too bad compared to XP, Vista, etc.
    I will see how it goes, will most likely upgrade the other desktops to Windows 10.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Its all good

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

As an annexe - don't forget that the Old Windows folder can be removed (with ref to upgrade) - however of course burn stuff you want to keep first before going through the old OS deleting process. You can release a fair few gb's .

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Much like a toilet after Handy has been in it, I'm going to give it a while.

FatHands likes this.
  11. peter palmer

Don't like it, takes ages to load up, some of the programs wont work properly, jittery. It actually froze whilst typing this. Going back to W7 on both PCs tomorrow. Thy had better not have used up my legitimate windows keys for this ****.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And disabling unuse services can help to speed things up.

13. peter palmer

Already back on W7, there is a setting in security to revert back, you get a month to do it.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What programmes don't work properly, there quite a few updates around.

Haven't had any problems here, but I'm using the 64bit version & a lot of memory.

15. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Don't forget , after updating to Win 10, you only have a month to revert back to Win7 or 8.1,,, otherwise your stuck with Win 10 ;););)

16. peter palmer

Its not like my computer is slow, i5 over clocked to 4.2 and 8GB of ram with a 120GB SSD so it should have been great. It was just jittery and not what I expected. I had to get the latest graphics and audio drivers from the manufactures web site. I'm far happier on W7.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Summit wrong with your system Peter. I'm only 4gb ram and I loaded onto SSD. Boot up is what 6 to 8 secs and all systems go. No driver issues. Very smooth OS.

18. Smooth upgrade to W10 a week ago.

Starting to try out its features.

Son uninstalled it one day later.

"Messes up my Minecraft..."

sigh

19. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

I'd generally give any new OS a couple of months before installing it for the problems to be ironed out. The huge array of hardware combinations that Windows needs to be able to run on means that there will pretty much always be problems with a new release not found until it's released, as Microsoft simply cannot test the millions of different hardware configurations it will be running on.

Having said that I've not tried it myself yet, I don't have anything currently running Windows to put it on to have a go. Despite the bad press I actually think Windows 8.1 was pretty solid, after installing a small program that brings back the start menu that is anyway.

I think I'll probably wait, then proceed with caution on the computers at work...

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If your using Windows 64 bit, then there isn't a problem with minecraft working, it the 32bit version of Windows 10 which apparantly is causing all the grief.