Wireless Thermostat wiring ??

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by duncan10000, Dec 4, 2013.

1. duncan10000

duncan10000 Member

Evening All...
    Just had a quick question before I start.

I've got a Ideal Classic FF280 boiler in my kitchen with the hot water cylinder upstairs. There's never been a room stat fitted so you just control the heating/water by the potterton programmer in the airing cupboard.

I've just bought a Salus RT500 RF wireless room stat and am trying to figure out where I wire the transmitter/receiver. Do I wire it into the boiler itself or do I wire it into the programmer upstairs ??

Either way I assume I just have the CH set to constant on the programmer & then set the on/off temps within the new stat?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers - Dunc

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    If you can identify the wire that calls for heat in the programmer, ie, CH on.
    We'll call it the heating switch live.. On the receiver you need a live, neutral and sw live.. With the original program on constant ch.. It will then require a signal from the transmitter to activate the sw live to the heating system ...

Not sure if I made that a bit complicated? It's not really
    Regards peter

3. duncan10000

duncan10000 Member

Cheers for the reply Peter.

I've found the CH on terminal from the programmer (its a potterton ep2002 if that helps :D ) which has a wire running off to the junction box thingy & then to a 3 port valve etc. I assume that when I switch the programmer to "CH on" then that wire has current through it.

If that's the case then if I wire the new receiver with power as normal. Then break this wire from the programmer & run this through the new thermostat so then with the CH on constant this will "switch" the live ???
    If that makes sense :S haha

Thanks - Dunc

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    yup thats about it.
    [​IMG]

5. duncan10000

duncan10000 Member

Thanks for your help Peter.
    All fitted & working like a charm.
    Cheers - Dunc

6. Duncan, be interested to know how well this system works as I'm looking to do pretty much the same with my heating. not sure yet if I should go for the full on wifi control, at least then I can keep her on her toes by turning the heating off ;)

7. KSWC, in general if you can use a fully wired (mains powered) room stat, that's the way to go. Wireless means having to use batteries (not a complete drag, but best avoided), and a risk of messed signals if it's mounted further away. And they are expensive :oops:

Whether wired or 'less, however, a programmable room 'stat like that Salus is highly recommended. Set it to suit your living conditions, and forget. But it can, of course, be overridden whenever needed.