wiring a 4 pole double throw switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rob.., Aug 29, 2015.

1. Rob..

Rob.. New Member

Hi everyone,

I purchased a 4 pole double throw switch but cannot find any information about what the connections are.

The switch has connections labelled 1 to 16.

I found some information on double pole double throw swtches that have 3 connections per pole but the switch I have has 4 connections per pole?

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Give us a clue to the make? There is no specific pin out of switches of that nature. The manufacturer will have included a diagram. Or get your multimeter out!

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Also it might help if you tell us what you want to connect it to.

4. Rob..

Rob.. New Member

Sorry for not including more information initially but I was hoping there would be some sort of standard layout.

It's an SCL IC440 and there were no instructions or diagram included.

I am going to use it to switch the 2 outputs of a solar iboost between 2.8kW of electric heaters and a 3kW immersion heater. Normal operation will have excess pv and turbine production to the heaters and the immersion controlled by a timer which will heat the tank during the off peak rate or by using the 'boost' button. However during the summer when the heaters are not needed the excess production will be be sent to the immersion when needed and the heaters will be on the timer output but not set to come on using the timer but by use of the 'boost' function if required.

Due to switching the 2 outputs of the iboost between the heaters and immersion I will need to switch both live and neutral, which means I will need 2 poles per output. The switch has a central off setting.

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

the 1-16 will be in banks of 4. The three groups being position 1, 2 and the common. You're only using two poles of the four. The poles are all opposite each other. Use a multimeter. Although, likely a diagram in the lid or instructions.

6. Rob..

Rob.. New Member

Just after using a multimeter to figure out the connections I saw the small diagram in the lid of the switch!

7. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

We've all been there, done that!

8. Rob..

Rob.. New Member

Thanks for the help!

Also, I want to switch both live and neutral so when in the off position it's another form of isolation, as well as the dedicated 16A MCB. However, the MCB requires a ladder to reach as it is in what would be the loft space of the garage if there was a ceiling, and the 4 pole switch will be at about 1.5m.