Wiring a new bathroom flush light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by raynerrythm, Oct 11, 2015.

1. raynerrythm

raynerrythm New Member

Hi Team

I have just installed a new ceiling light and switch for my bathroom.

Its not the first light I have installed but the first for bathroom lighting.

I still followed the safety instructions of turning the power off, bought the bulb recommended on the instructions.

I put the wires in the right place earth where earth is to go, live with live and neutral with neutral.

I followed instructions, online manuals and even watched youtube videos.

every time i turn the light on now the power for the lights trip.

I don't understand what could be done wrong.

Please help

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

What colours have you got?

3. raynerrythm

raynerrythm New Member

I have 2 red in a block with a brown in live. Two black in a block with a blue in neutral. And the two earth wires in the earth with green and yellow sleeving

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

What type of light is it?

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Could be totally wrong but I'm guessing your switch wire is a black. And you are putting it in with a neutral. You will have to test to see which is the switch wire.

6. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Photo would help

7. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Same as usual then, neutral with the switch wire, you didn't note the connection when you took the old light down!!

8. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Looks that way doesn't it Nigel. only way now is to find the switch wire with a tester. When power is OFF

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Did the fuse/circuit breaker blow when you turned the light switch on? It would have if you'd connected the switched live to the neutral?