Wiring an extractor fan to a pullcord switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by macadonald, Jun 17, 2007.

1. macadonald

macadonald New Member

Hello,

I have just installed an extractor fan in the bathroom and am now trying to connect it to come on with the light switch. To make sure it all works, I have connected a plug to the the end of the wiring and all works. I am having problems connecting it to the pull cord sitch.

Oddly the switch only has 2 red wires, there are no blue, brown and yellow configurations. I have tried connecting the 2 live wires from the extractor fan to both of the red wire points, but nothing works.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible? Surely current flows through the wires going into the switch?

Many thanks

Maca
  2. X

X New Member

If its not an over run (TIMER FAN) Then just connect to the lamp rather than the switch.
  3. spark&half

spark&half New Member

You will have to come of the light fitting not the pull switch.

The pull switch only has a live and switch wire - no neutral (which is needed):)
  4. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

The pull chord may only have live in live out. The fan will require a neutral. So may not be the pull chord to run the fan feed from. Could be the bathroom light.
    As its notifiable works get a spark wont cost you that much
  5. multimick

multimick New Member

why do we bother:(
  6. spark&half

spark&half New Member

why do we bother:(

Obviously we have nothing better to do;)
  7. multimick

multimick New Member

you,ve convinced me , off to pub
  8. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

Whats black & crizled & hangs from a bathroom fan

A MacDonald
  9. macadonald

macadonald New Member

Ha ha thanks guys. Looks like sparkies are'nt keen on DIY work. Just thought that if it was a simple connection of live and neutral in the switch it would save me a lot of money. Looks like it is in live in something out setup.

Unfortunately, connecting it to the light switch is not ideal, as I would have a visible wire. There is no ceiling in the flat. If I get a sparky in would it be possible to wire this in through the switch?

Thanks
  10. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

No possible through the pullchord unless the neutrals are terminated in a seperate connector block and tuck inside the pullchord.
    Either has to be the light or a junction box in the void.
    Its not a case of sparks being anti DIY the answers are clear its not the pullchord 99.9999999% of the time.
    This is also notifiable works wether you do or dont its up to you
    Still think youd be better off getting a spark in to sus it out
  11. BusterGonad

BusterGonad New Member

Sing along now.

Ole Macdonald had a fan ei ei o. Now he's got a pull switch that had some wires ei ei o. With a live wire here and a live wire there, here a live there a live only fookin live lives. Ole Macdonald had a fan he couldn't get it to go. He needs a neutral wire to make it work, but he's so fookin slow!
  12. spark&half

spark&half New Member

13. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

Busta

ROFL & then PMSL
  14. X

X New Member

ROFL & then PMSL

ROFPMSL
  15. macadonald

macadonald New Member

All but the one with 'Busted ******'.. thanks for the advice, I accept that I cannot wire the extractor into the switch and will be calling in a sparkie.

Got to learn somehow.. not everyone was born as 'Fookin' clever as Mr Gonad.
  16. spark&half

spark&half New Member

Have a read of This;)
  17. macadonald

macadonald New Member

Cheers Spark&Half... Looks useful, but sounds too much for me.. will suggest it to the sparkie...
  18. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

Does the bathroom have a flat roof?
  19. spark&half

spark&half New Member

If you just read through it and look at it in a logical way - U should be able to work something out;)
  20. macadonald

macadonald New Member

Yes the bathroom has a flat roof with cornising (I'm sure spelt wrong) around the edges. I have fed the wiring from the extractor fan (which I mounted in the walls air brick) behind the cornising around to the wall with the light switch.