Wiring an outbuilding

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by James V, Aug 22, 2015.

1. James V

James V Member

Hi all

I'm building a drum studio in my garden, which is approx 25 metres away from the house. The studio is 5m square. I've laid 3 Core 6 Mm Swa Armoured Cable in a trench, and plan to get a local electrician to come and connect it up to the fuse board in addition to checking the electrics in the studio / signing it off.

I wondered if there was any basic explanations of the work involved in this on a website somewhere, so I can propose to the electrician what I want to do / perhaps get some of the easier work done first to save his time and expense?

In summary I want to:
    Have approx 5 socket pairs around the studio
    Have 9 x LED ceiling lights; all operating off the same lighting switch.

Cheers!

James

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

It's pretty straightforward James. Prob a garage type CU in your room. 6mm is way more than adequate. Only prob maybe finding a spark willing to finish off your work.

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Yes you will need a bent spark to sign off your work.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What's a Drum Studio James?

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Somewhere to practice battering the pots and pans :)

sparky Si-Fi likes this.
  6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I would reckon it's some:pwhere to play drums JP mate.

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Right Mr C - I thought it was some kind of yupee name for a summerhouse etc.
    Cheers m8

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Should have sussed it though Mr C - 25 metres away from the house - the further the better when you have ''budding Ginger Bakers'' letting loose on the skins

CGN likes this.
  9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Dunno though JP - maybe it's just middle class code name thing. I mean you have a tagoona fer crying out loud.

10. James V

James V Member

Thanks guys - better just check with the fella I usually use, but I guess I'd better expect that he'll do all the work. Just as a benchmark, what ballpark cost would I be looking at for this kind of job?

I'm in Montgomery, Mid Wales.

And yes, a drum studio is a studio in which to practice drums... got to keep the wife / kids / neighbours happy, its a noisy business...

11. Hi James.

How deep did you lay the cable*, does it have safety tape over it and how does it leave the house and enter the studio?

Always best, with jobs like this, to find the helpful sparky first and agree the plan with him - what you will do and what he will do.
    Some sparkies will point blank refuse, and others will reckon 'I have a spare day next week - if he's done the monkey work and I can check that it's ok, then I don't mind doing a day's connecting up and testing for a nice £ouple hundred in cash...'

Ie - you will likely save some money doing half of it yourself, but I doubt you'll save half.

Anyways, assuming you find a supportive sparky, I'm sure many will be ok with you fitting the socket back-boxes and other tedious work, but you'd need to know what you are doing first.

Eg - what materials are the wall? What height are you proposing? Where will the cables be run, etc etc.

*Depth is one of these things that's 'personal' to each sparky. Some will be 'happy' for chust 6" others will insist on 2'+...

12. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Very sore subject regarding a good old sparky to sign his life to your work

1.I for one do not entertain that prospect
    2. The use of a licence number for DIY work (which is what the job is) is frowned upon

As a company policy, WE DO NOT START JOBS HALF WAY THROUGH!

Getting fed up of constantly telling joe public to refrain from informing them on how to do a job and therefore cut my own throat to earning a living

You wont save sweet Fanny Adams in trying to do as much of the work yourself

Be prepared that if you do find a Spark (we are not building control and thats something YOU should have done before crashing into this project) there will be a mass of exclusions on the completion cert. that basically gives you nothing in regard to a guarantee when and if things go wrong and to flag up another hurdle on a house sale

Let the ELECTRICIAN do his job which is what HIS profession is

Would you want to do a DIY divorce. . .no you would get a solicitor in?

13. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I've diyed all the electrics in my out buildings. Cattle houses, workshop, garages etc.
    Not a lot to it. You just buy the right materials and everything falls into place after that.

Biggest mistake I ever made was diying an entension reel. Which almost electrocuted me.
    Only reason it didn't was because it wasn't raining.
    My workmate got a tingle from it and said nothing then set me up to lift the reel.
    Then I got zapped.
    Well better me than him at the end of the day. Guess I was foisted by my own petard.
    Must have been a loose connection or summat.

14. sams

sams Member

Wish i could see that , i bet i could find at least a dozen non compliance's

15. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Well if you're a box ticker then I'm sure you could. That's your job.
    Me ..I just get on with the job till its done. Buy quality materials and perform quality work that will put the real sparks to shame.

Here's one for you that a spark did.

He was wiring an industrial three phase armoured cable and had it connected at the control panel. The cut end was sitting at his knee all burred from sawing.

I was inside and engaged the three fuse holders into their slots.
    Than there was a big flash bang outside. I was just curious as to what they did that's all.
    The spark never even pulled the fuses out.
    He was Ok but slightly in shock and then blamed me.

Two weeks later he asked me to saw through an armoured cable which was live.
    I did what he asked and the hacksaw blew up in my hand.

How many boxes would you tick for that?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  16. James V

James V Member

Bit dramatic there, mate. I wouldn't get a plumber in to replace a washer on my tap; and I wouldn't get an electrician to wire a plug... Much of what I need to do is pretty basic stuff, but the finished job is notifiable. Sick of lazy tradesmen charging the earth for a basic job / spending 3 times longer than necessary / eating me out of tea and biscuits.....

Ray Retired likes this.
  17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Tea and biscuits? - I would expect a full English (no skimping on mushrooms and at least 4 buttered bread slices), and Maccy D's with fries for lunch, all washed down with proper tea and not that Earl Grey *****.

Sparks need a bit more then rich tea biscuits when performing highly technical electrical system deployment James.

CGN likes this.
  18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Phew all this drilling and pulling cables is making me hungry.

Customer walks in - here we are JP here's a cup of Earl Grey and some rich tea biscuits.

Stuff em up yer arris - I aint eating and drinking that *****. I'm going up the chippy.

19. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

No drama whatsoever I see these antics everyday mate. . .

I support the sparks on all matters, this is after all Electricians talk, not how do I do this?

There is a Code of practice (17th edition wiring regs Amend 3) that defines all Electrical installations in England and Wales if your a have-a-go joe or a sparks

As long as you EITHER:

Notify LABC prior to works commencement at varying stages

OR

A self certifying sparks on a registered scheme installs the work

There is no halfway house on this project you plan James

If you get, and thats an IF your reg. third party's your 'basic' work it will be a cash payment with no paper trail which is the thing you cannot have

You have been informed.

20. Hi. I'm new here, so please go easy.

I have some wiring to do in my house, so could you sparkies tell me exactly how to do this so's I don't actually have to have you lazy, greedy, expensive, smelly bar stewards in my home?

Thanks in anticipation.