Wiring bathroom extractor fan from lighting circuit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mack Eater, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Mack Eater

Mack Eater New Member

Thanks for that - much appreciated.

2. oscar21

oscar21 New Member

A fan with a run on timer wont work without the supply to the permanent live, whether this is a permanent live or a link from the switched live, it has to be there.

3. ShortCircuit48

ShortCircuit48 New Member

Re-Education Time

PrimeLine fan with run-on timer will only run with switched feed and feed linked. Fan will not run with a phase and neutral only. Could be some different fans work as suggested by RO??????

As I understand the Building Regs, a bathroom without natural ventilation requires a fan with timed over-run.

4. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

True ~ think its 15 mins as well.
    Not sure about Primeline

5. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

A fan is required in any bathroom,even if it has a window as far as I know.
    The obvious flaw with these fans which come on with the light is that if you take a **** in daylight they aren,t any use.
    An extractor linked to the water flow would be more sensible so probably won,t ever happen.

6. paaulyb

paaulyb New Member

I was under the impression that a fan isolator switch was only required if the room as no means of natural light i.e a window.

Also I don't understand the comments about the cpc and LABC from ripped off. If you use T+E and cut off the cpc at the fan what difference does it make?

7. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

There are a lot of nuggets with a degree is arzeology.
    They use T&E but need a third core for the perm feed, so where do they get the third core on T&E.

8. ShortCircuit48

I suggest you do not have a full understanding of anything

I was under the impression that a fan isolator switch
    was only required if the room as no means of natural
    light i.e a window.

To electrically isolate to allow safe working

Also I don't understand the comments about the cpc
    and LABC from ripped off. If you use T+E and cut off
    the cpc at the fan what difference does it make?

cpc The cowboys would use the cpc as the switched live
    and this appears to have happened

9. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

Cheers S/C ~ Tried to make it easy for them.

10. paaulyb

paaulyb New Member

I suggest you do not have a full understanding of anything

I was under the impression that a fan isolator switch
    was only required if the room as no means of natural
    light i.e a window.

To electrically isolate to allow safe working

Also I don't understand the comments about the cpc
    and LABC from ripped off. If you use T+E and cut off
    the cpc at the fan what difference does it make?

cpc The cowboys would use the cpc as the switched live
    and this appears to have happened

"Quote

An extractor fan supplied from a lighting circuit for a bathroom <u>without</u> a window should have it's own means of isolation, as otherwise replacement or maintenance of the fan would have to be carried out in the dark."

As I stated earlier if there is a window the isolating switch is not required.

If this is incorrect please state where in the regs it states to use an isolating switch in a windowed room.

Now I see the point about the cpc just didn't think anybody was that stupid.

11. ShortCircuit48

As I stated earlier if there is a window the
    isolating switch is not required.

Utter garbage

If this is incorrect please state where in the regs
    it states to use an isolating switch in a windowed
    room.

See Section 406

460-01-01,462-01-01

And the one not in the regs, and sadly missed COMMON SENSE

12. paaulyb

paaulyb New Member

Sorry but I do not agree. A means for isolation for maintenance is provided. Without a specific isolation switch.

The quote is from an iee book is this utter rubbish??

Please point out if I am incorrect in my understanding but don't insult me.

13. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

paaulyb, where would the isolation be for the permanent live required for the timer. Is this the switch inside the consumer unit or the one outside the bathroom you didn't fit.

14. ShortCircuit48

I do not want to insult you, but if you had a copy of BS7671, the REGs, then you would be able to carry out a substantiated discussion. As it is you have your own opinions which are without foundation, and stupid.

15. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

shortcircuit who is your statement directed at?

16. paaulyb

paaulyb New Member

Now that is a fair point WU.

What I struggle to understand is why a fan is any different to a lighting point. You would isolate the lighting point at the CU so why not the fan?

As the regs state you must be able to isolate the supply which you can and that is all.

However as per my quote the IEE EGTTBR states, that an isolating switch is required only in a bathroom without a window, because you would not have any lights to work in isolating the fan this way.

I am not a sparky but am part p, I have discussed this numerous times and have always been referred back to EGTTBR.

Now the serious point is that as all of my fans so far have been loft mounted with no window I fit a switch, but in the loft.

If I was however to fit a ceiling mounted fan most of my customers would not want an ugly fan switch on the ceiling or anywhere, I have enough trouble with shower and light switches in their nice new bathroom.

All I am looking for is something specific regarding isolating switches and rooms wth a window.

As yet nobody as given me an answer that I can agree with.

17. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

An isolation point is somewhere which is obvious to the item it has to isolate. EG. light switch in every room. cooker point within 2m of cooker. do you get my point? It has to be isolated easily & quick enough by customer if theres an issue with item.

18. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

I can't undestand what a point of isolation has to do with a window. There used to be a building reg that if theres no window bathroom had to have a timed fan. but now all new builds need extraction regardless of window.

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

20. oscar21

oscar21 New Member

What good is a window for changing a fan if its dark, 4.30 on a january afternoon for example.